Metallica tone possible on an SL-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica tone possible on an SL-1?

My new transparent black SL-1 is on its way, and I was wondering if the H/S/S seymour duncan combination on it can pull off a Metallica sound.

And how does the SA/SA/81 EMG combo sound in soloists?

I used to have an sl-1, traded it for a sl-2h. Anyways If you use the bridge pick up you can get your Metallica sound no problem, especially if you put in a EMG 81, thats the pick up they use. With the single coils you will be able to get the tone of some of their newer stuff (load reload) but the neck pickup isnt all that great if you are looking for their old sound when soloing. Hope this helps a little.

BTW that black soloist you picked up is sweet

Comment

Thanks, it doesn't get here till the 28th . Does Kirk use both humbuckers or just one?

Comment

usually just both..... in the old One music video he used a ESP strat copy with a single single hum config.
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by edma2 View Post
          Thanks, it doesn't get here till the 28th . Does Kirk use both humbuckers or just one?
          I'm sure he uses both. Listen to his playing, the tones vary alot. Dont worry, that guitar will sound killer as long as you have a good amp!

Comment

I think he used a Strat loaded with a set of EMG's (hum sin sin) to record most of the clean stuff (using the single coils) during the older albums, like, Justice and Black.

Comment

Hell...you can pull that sound off with a trash can lid...oh wait, that wasn't what you were after.
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Which Metallica sound? You'll need a million dollar studio to replicate some sounds like the black album.

Comment

Well, I wasn't after some specific album or year.

Just in general... ya know, Metallica... live sound I guess?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the SL-1 can do what I want.

Comment

Tom Anderson Pro Am with ultra sonic singles and a EMG81.

Comment

THis is a very silly thread

Comment

Basically, even if you got the exact same gear as them, you won't get "the Metallica" sound, you'll get what you hear from your speakers of your radio at your house, which is a processed, edited and masterized sound, which if you replicate, it won't sound the same if you record it, because probably, as in most cases, their recording "sound" must sound horrible compared to the final product. In my case, my guitar sounds really bad when I'm recording because I need to pump on some freq's like mids and lows and stuff, but when it's inside the pc, It's really a very good sound.

Now, leaving behind all that that has nothing to do with your question, I guess that most of EMG users kinda have "the Metallica sound" since most of us got EMG's after seing James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett use them, so if you think about it...

Now, if you have EMG's (or not) it's really up to the amps you use, for Metallica it ain't that hard, it's not like you want the sound of Exodus' Tempo Of The Damned in whcih they mix a lot of amps and the tone is really complicated to the ears, or not even Arch Enemy, the Metallica tone is kinda like the standard metal tone so all you need is good palm-muteable distortion and mainly you're set. Before, lot's of guys told you to "scoop" your mids and boost the lows and highs to 10 !! Crazy stuff, actually, to get a nice Metallica Black Album tone, you need to set lows at 1 pm, mids at 10 am and highs at 1 pm, gain set to palm-muteable chunky numbers.

Comment

I think it's possible. I was doing RTL and MOP on an axe with EMG81 / EMG-S wired for 18 volts, through a DSL100 1/2 stack with Bass boost on mid cut on.
                          , lead channel. With enough gain, the EMG-S can get that lead tone of Kirk's. Sorry, but F' the newer stuff, it's not Metallica any more.

Comment

Alder body + neckthrough maple neck + EMG81. Rosewood or ebony fingerboard. That's basically what Kirk's tone is about. Jackson SL1 would be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                              Hell...you can pull that sound off with a trash can lid...
                              Actually that would be Lars' drumsound on St. Anger.
                              "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Working...
                              X