No announcement yet.

Metallica tone possible on an SL-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, and to be fair i think i heard that the Signature series is now being made in the same factory the Standard series is in.

there was a huge thread about it (or 30...) in the Esp forums.

for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKETASS
      You Can Get Metallica Tone On Any Guitar With A Little Help...

Kill Album - Marshall/duncans

Ride Album - Mesa Markii And Markiii James Had A Passive Emg With Huge Poll Pieces And Weird Pots (explorer Wht "so What" On Back) My Buddy Owns The Guitar Now.

Master Album - Mesa Mark Iv Same Guitar As Above

And Justice Mesa 1st Edition Dual Rectifier And Active Emg 81

Same For The Rest...james Switched To Mesa Triaxis And Dual Rectifiers And Later Switched To 81/60 Emg's

I'm sorry, but NO, just no. Mk IV on MOP? DR's on Justice? Your buddy owns one of James' original Gibson explorers?

What have you been smoking? I want it?!
      Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I could have sworn that it was a Dual Rec on Puppets.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          I could have sworn that it was a Dual Rec on Puppets.
          Those didn't exist when Puppets was recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
            Note the sarcasm in his post.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
              I remeber that was Mesa MK II in that time
              State of Emergency
              http://www.myspace.com/stateofemergencysoe
              Personal Myspace
              http://www.myspace.com/hansoe

Comment

EMG passive on the Ride The Lightning album ? Wow, I didn't know that, I thought EMG started to make passives just recently. What I know for sure is that he used a Tube Screamer with a Mesa, and he hated the "boosting" thing, said it was a "mess".

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                  EMG passive on the Ride The Lightning album ? Wow, I didn't know that, I thought EMG started to make passives just recently. What I know for sure is that he used a Tube Screamer with a Mesa, and he hated the "boosting" thing, said it was a "mess".
                  The EMG Select was the first passive pickups they made (they are covered and look exactly like regular active EMGs, but they say EMG Select on them), but I don't think they made them until the late '80s or early '90s. They were Korean made and were very bassy sounding. I put a pair in my old string-thru Dinky for awhile. A lot of B.C. Rich models used to come stock with them.
                  Hetfield used Duncan Invaders and Distortions, I believe.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Last time I paid attention I saw dual rectifiers. and use EMG's and you're good to go....OH and the all important wah if you wanna be like Kirk

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                      KEA hotrodded Marshall with a ProCo Rat.

RTL was a hotrodded Marshall with a ts9 in front of it and good amounts of reverb.

MOP was a IIC+ into a Marshall power section.

AJFA was a IIC+ and a Quad preamp into boogie and marshall power sections

That's it in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by 69dodgecharger View Post
                        I'm sure he uses both. Listen to his playing, the tones vary alot.
                        wah toe up and toe down?

so did the OP get his Soloist? This thread was started last xmas eve....
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Ok, so we all agree that Metallica has had some insane gear and a lot of it. But to make it more realistic, a mahogany guitar with an EMG 81 into a Mesa Mark IIC+, Mark III, or Mark IV will get you 95% of the way there. I have a Mark III and I can get very close to Metallica's sound. A Mark IIC+ is pretty much Master of Puppets in a box.

Comment

I quote James from my Mesa/Boogie Catalogue: "From the moment I plugged into the Mark II C+ in 1984, I knew it was the sound I was searching for..."
                            Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                            Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                            Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by TheAmazingBlob View Post
                              Ok, so we all agree that Metallica has had some insane gear and a lot of it. But to make it more realistic, a mahogany guitar with an EMG 81 into a Mesa Mark IIC+, Mark III, or Mark IV will get you 95% of the way there. I have a Mark III and I can get very close to Metallica's sound. A Mark IIC+ is pretty much Master of Puppets in a box.
                              For sure. In fact I'd say it's as close to 99% of the "raw" tone on MOP. If you were able to record multiple tracks and layer them painstakingly, you'd nail the album sound. But as far as raw, in-the-room, tone goes, it's indistinguishable.

Comment

visit www.montyjay.com you'll find there james's triaxis settings as well.

impossible to replicate imho, they like to combine different heads and cabinets for starters. at least I can say that I've never managed to get the exact sound with my emg loaded esp mx250II (set-neck, mahogany body, ebony fretboard over maple neck explorer) and single rectifier head.

Comment

Working...
                                X