24 fret RR dimensions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 fret RR dimensions...

I'm building a Rhoads copy, but I want it to be single hum, rearloaded, 24 frets. I was originally going to copy the ESP, but I'd rather have a more Jackson-like guitar because they're so much cooler looking. So my question is this: is the entire neck shifted upward in a 24 fret guitar, as shown in the picture? I think it would have to be this way to give access to the upper frets.

So...could somebody with a 24 fret Rhoads do me a favor and take a measurement from "crotch" of the wings to the edge of the trem cavity? Also, a measurement from the top edge of the bridge pickup ring to the bottom of the fretboard binding would be helpful. Thanks!

I´m fairly certain that the neck gets "moved out" those 2 frets and the bridge gets repositioned accordingly, at least if it´s not speced to be otherwise. All the 24 fret Rhoads I´ve seen so far have had the same access to the last 2 frets as a 22 fretter.

I could closely approximate measurements based on my own (22 fret) Rhoads, but it probably makes more sense to wait for someone that has one with 24 frets to chime in with exact ones

Comment

Or you could buy that JacksonStars 24 fret RR from Ebay.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
        I´m fairly certain that the neck gets "moved out" those 2 frets and the bridge gets repositioned accordingly, at least if it´s not speced to be otherwise. All the 24 fret Rhoads I´ve seen so far have had the same access to the last 2 frets as a 22 fretter.
        I know they moved out the neck on mine. This is something they've started to do in the last couple of years I think. When I placed my order I didn't expect this and it really bothered me at first. I'm okay with it now though.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

hey man...check out this thread

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48539

Comment

no the neck doesn't move. only the neck pick-up gets moved closer to the bridge pick- up. This i know because there was a thread about neck pick- up sweet spots and how 24 fret guitars changed that spot. MM2002 or mark would know more on this topic, he converted a 22 fret RR to a 24 via changing the neck
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

He had to trim some wood off the neck pocket to make it playable on the upper frets.

That guitar came out looking incredible, btw.

Comment

Awww, come on.

I'm sure ONE of the 110 viewers of this thread owns both a 24 fret RR and a tape measure.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                  no the neck doesn't move. only the neck pick-up gets moved closer to the bridge pick- up. This i know......
                  Man, you said that with some conviction.

Check xeno's post above yours - he recently had a Custom Shop Rhoads delivered, so he's not relying on some article he read online when he states that the current practice is to shift the neck further out from the body.

The impact that changing from 24 frets from 22 has on the 'sweet spot' isn't effected by whether the neck is moved out or if the bridge is moved in - the distance between humbuckers will be the same in either instance for a 24 fret guitar, only their placement on the body will vary.

If you were ordering a CS guitar (or building your own) you could specify that the bridge remain in the same spot, the pickup moved towards the bridge and the 2 frets added to the end of the neck, but as Ben said, access to those last frets is not ideal. Or you could have the same access to the upper frets as on a 22 fret guitar by specifying that the bridge be routed further from the 'crotch' of the V.
                  Last edited by VitaminG; 12-27-2006, 12:52 AM.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Huh huh huh you said crotch
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        Doesn't that one actually have 25 frets, though?
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, but you can still see the whole action has been moved towards the neck...

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                            Yeah, but you can still see the whole action has been moved towards the neck...
                            Uh huh. So by how much??

Comment

speet spot means the abilty to hit harmonics both artifical and natural easier, and i personaly do believe it is easier on a 22 fretted guitar. i can't remember is the thread was on here or on the ESP forum. I will SEARCH......
                              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                              X