Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Jacksons and newer Jacksons

Hello

I was browsing through the gallery, and well, reading through the forum and many of you seem to like and love the older Jacksons.

I was looking at them and some of them had dots instead of sharkfins, most of all had a decal for a logo, most of them were bolt-ons and some looked pretty much like Fenders. Then, they had Jackson pickups, non-floyd-rose trems like the Jackson trems, etc.

Now, I look at the newer models from 98 upwards, and they look amazingly better at least to my eyes. I mean, Seymour Duncans, Original Floyds, pearl logo and sharkfins, bound neck and headstock, neck-through construction, etc, etc.

I just want to understand why people like the older ones better (or maybe not "better", I mean, compared to the new ones, how can you like the old ones), this is not to start a fight, I just want to understand the reasons why.

"Mojo"

Hah... seriously, you'll actually find that those older Jacksons with dots & non-floyd rose trems are very affordable & hence an excellent value. And to me, nothing beats the feel of those older oil-finished bolt-on necks.

Comment

Plus you can't get a Kahler these days without going Custom...
      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

i think its more of the vintage vibe you get from those classics
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Yeah I was going towards the vintage vibe too, but, I kinda go more towards Gibson or Fender when I think vintage.

It's all a matter of taste I guess.

Comment

Because they're tons cheaper than new ones, mostly. Most people think of sharkfins and ebony and neckthrough when they see Jackson on the headstock, so dotted rosewood, bolt-on, Strat-types usually go cheap.

Flashy finishes and pretty tops and inlay shape and material do absolutely nothing to improve the tone, which is all that matters on a guitar, so while a tricked out Custom rots in a store, a well-loved plain-Jane gets passed around like a joint at a Dead concert, and just as cheaply.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have both, I love both, but I think the new ones are better.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Because they're tons cheaper than new ones, mostly. Most people think of sharkfins and ebony and neckthrough when they see Jackson on the headstock, so dotted rosewood, bolt-on, Strat-types usually go cheap.
                Hell, I just opted for the best of both worlds. My '87 Soloist has a bound ebony fretboard, and it was cheap. I have noticed that the prices on E-bay have been creeping back up the past three years. I guess the renewed interest in metal has been bringing the kids back to Jackson again.

Comment

Originally posted by noodlesatf View Post
                  Hell, I just opted for the best of both worlds. My '87 Soloist has a bound ebony fretboard, and it was cheap. I have noticed that the prices on E-bay have been creeping back up the past three years. I guess the renewed interest in metal has been bringing the kids back to Jackson again.
                  I think Jackson increasing their prices has done more for raising the value of the used guitars than anything else...
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                  X