Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretwire on the KV-2

Hello

I remember I've read that the KV-2 has tall thin fret wire, and that the RR has jumbo frets.

Now, I have two questions:

1) Not asking which one is "best", but, I need to know the differences between both, I love how my KV-2 feels on the frets, but I'm curious about how would it felt with jumbo frets, and currently I don't own any jumbo fretted guitar nearby. So, basically, what are the purposes of each type and the intended feel on each?

2) Can the tall thin fret wire of the KV-2 compared to the 6105 Dunlop wire? Or in any case, I don't know if Jackson uses Dunlop wire, but, what would be the equivalent Dunlop wire for the KV-2's standard wire?

Thanks!

2) The KV2 fretwire is (or is at least equivalent to) 6105s. RRs (and every other Jackson) have 6100s.

This is a peeve of mine. I don't know why they continue to use 6105s on KV2s.

Edit - in fact, has anyone mentioned this in the Ask J/C section yet? If not, I certainly will!
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

bucketass asked the same thing.... you should really use the search function
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

The fretwire on the KV2 is certainly thin, but it's not very tall. I wish it was taller because I don't want to lower the Floyd any farther than it is.

Comment

Thanks!

What about the first question?

Comment

I dunno, my KV2 fretwire is pretty tall.
            Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I have both....and Bucketass said it. WIth the KV2 (Medium Jumbo frets) as opposed to the Jumbo frets......the string does not touch the board as much with the Jumbos and almost has that scalloped feel to them. I notice with my PCS rhoads guitars I can feel the board more when I bend because they have the medium jumbo frets just like my KV2 ALso the jumbos are wider than the medium jumbos.....here are a couple pics to show you the difference...sorry about the fuzzy pics but I am in a rush....and yeah the KV2 needs some lemon oil

Medium Jumbo

Jumbo

Last edited by quakana; 12-29-2006, 03:32 PM.

Comment

So basically, the KV2 (medium jumbo) frets are not as tall as the RR (jumbo) frets?

I thought that jumbo frets were wider and lower where as the other ones were tall and thin.

Comment

Now, when I got my quote done, I got this for "fretwire":

FRETWIRE: Jumbo SBB215

What brand and what kind of frets are those?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                    Now, when I got my quote done, I got this for "fretwire":

FRETWIRE: Jumbo SBB215

What brand and what kind of frets are those?
                    Here ya go man.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...ction=fretsize

as far as the part number....that is listed on all Jacksons with Jumbo frets. Must be an internal part number. Not sure if they manufacture their own

Comment

John mentioned in the past that Jackson has their own fretwire. He wouldn't say which manufacturer they contract to make it though.

Comment

Well, I did ask for stainless stell frets now that I remember... but I've been told that they're much expensive than regular frets and that due to the difficulty in installing them, they can cost more as well. Is it worth it?

Comment

In my opinion, KV2 medium jumbo frets are just as tall as RR1 jumbos, just narrower or thinner. I prefer the fretwire on the king vee, in general I prefer smaller frets.

Comment

What's the point of having one or another, is one more suitable to lead guitar or something like that? I mean, why would they make small frets if one could feel the fretboard wood when doing vibrato, that I think is a flaw, but if it is how come is it still being manufactured?

Whats the purpose of each type of fretwire? small or jumbo?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                              What's the point of having one or another, is one more suitable to lead guitar or something like that? I mean, why would they make small frets if one could feel the fretboard wood when doing vibrato, that I think is a flaw, but if it is how come is it still being manufactured?

Whats the purpose of each type of fretwire? small or jumbo?

Pure preference Brother!

Comment

Working...
                              X