No announcement yet.

Fretwire on the KV-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, I do understand, but, preference based on what? I mean, I still have not read an answer saying which one is used for what, what gives you preference for small frets, for example.

Comment

i think its cuz there are no way of differing the two, like everyone else said it just what you, like for what you do
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Yeah, but think about it, in order to "find out" you need to have both types of frets, whcih probably means 2 different guitars.

Ok, this is simple, what's the "purpose" or general use for small frets or jumbo frets? Like, for example: small frets: lead playing, jumbo frets: rhythm playing, OR something like that, in that kind of comparison, help me out.

Comment

i do belive you have an answer to that.........
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Hell, just do like Jake E. Lee used to do... jumbo frets for 1-12 and medium jumbo for 13 on.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Will it have to do with the string gauge too?

I use 12's on my guitar and I tune down to B, will any kind of frets be "better" for that, or it has nothing to do with it?

Comment

thicker string will put more abuse on the frets faster. so if you get smaller frets they'll wear out sooner, bigger they'll last longer, height wise i mean. i actually like toejam's idea of jumbos on the lower register and medium jumbo on the higher register

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                  Sure, I do understand, but, preference based on what? I mean, I still have not read an answer saying which one is used for what, what gives you preference for small frets, for example.

Just general preference. I dont think there are better frets for lead and better frets for chords per say. Yeah Jake had that done but try and find a production guitar like that? I have 7 guitars and all have different size frets.
                  I like them all but if I had my choice I would choose jumbo. Just like the feel better. I also like my action a little on the high side

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Hell, just do like Jake E. Lee used to do... jumbo frets for 1-12 and medium jumbo for 13 on.
                    What feel or effect will that provide? sounds interesting...

Comment

Well, I did ask for stainless stell frets now that I remember... but I've been told that they're much expensive than regular frets and that due to the difficulty in installing them, they can cost more as well. Is it worth it?
                      Stainless equals a slicker feel for bending and lasts longer than nickel frets. Stainless has a higher hardness. There is no noticable tone change IMO. Stainless fret installation costs more because they are very hard on the tools needed to cut them and dress the frets.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Well, I did ask for stainless stell frets now that I remember... but I've been told that they're much expensive than regular frets and that due to the difficulty in installing them, they can cost more as well. Is it worth it?
                        How much more do they want for stainless steel? It's only $20 extra on a Warmoth neck, so it can't be that difficult. I'm just curious because I'm beginning to question some of J/Cs CS pricing (especially with all the talk about CS prices increasing). Like scalloping. In the Charvel price list, they're charging $25/fret (up from $20 a few months ago). That's $550 for a 22-fret neck!! You can get a full scallop from Warmoth for $110. You can't tell me that a J/C scallop job is 5x better.
                        Last edited by jwoods986; 01-02-2007, 03:07 PM.
                        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                        X