EMG's on my RR1??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's on my RR1??

Hey guys i have been thinking about EMG active 81/85 combo for a while now what do you think i should do. I really dig the Alexi Laiho tone, Petrucci, Randy, Gilbert you no all those crazy shredders. But the type im aiming for is a nice heavy sound with a decent amount of highs and lots of lows, and for solos i have an eq for mids.
    Thanks.

i use emgs in some of my axes and passive in others so it really comes down to what your after.all my emgs are 18v modded and sound brilliant clean and really clear.i have found they can muddy up the distortion a bit too much so some tweaking was needed to find a balance.it has been said that if you have a ''crapish''tone to start with then they can make it worse tone wise.as for passives i use dimarzio evolutions,tone zone and a fred.they all sound great too,to me at least.im sure other will chime in here and offer a better more informed rundown.your present gear may play apart in a decission.
    my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck of one of my RR1's and I love it. That guitar sounds good with any of my high gain heads

Comment

Do it dude!! Emgs rule!
          I love admins!

Comment

Alexi uses EMG HZs just so you know. Those are not active, but passive.

I think EMGs sound too shrill, but they do have a lot of people who love them. I think EMGs website has some sound samples if you wanted to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post

I think EMGs sound too shrill, but they do have a lot of people who love them. I think EMGs website has some sound samples if you wanted to check that out.
              How different are the Hz's compared to the regular 81's? I have used EMGs for a long time now and found that they sound awesome in some guitars but just "so-so" in others. I've never tried an EMG Hz so I am curious.

I am thinking about changing out the Duncans in my RR3 for EMG's but am afraid to do it since I would be running alot of wires around inside of it. If the Hz's are okay, it would be a lot easier to change them without pulling out the pots and jack too.
              Guitars:
              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
              1988 Model 2,
              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
              RR3
              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

You know, none of the guys you mentioned uses active pickups... I'd recommend you have a looksie at some of the bareknuckle pickups! www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

Comment

Go on youtube and type in Kreator - People Of The Lie (or any other song of `em) Live...
                  Cause Mille plays a RR1 with EMG`s...

In my opinion = GREAT!
                  Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    +1, and don't forget to wire them up in 18v config!
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

see 18v thread
                      Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 02-18-2007, 07:22 PM.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

You can try this...I did in my KV2. But if you've already got some beefy low end from your amp I'd go 81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck. I found the 85 in the bridge to be too much, I switched them. But then again my Death Angel is a single hum with an 81...so I tweaked my shit to rip with that axe so....experiment!
                        Hear the universe scream
                        Bleeding from black holes
                        Whom horns careless
                        And whom God mourns

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                          How different are the Hz's compared to the regular 81's? I have used EMGs for a long time now and found that they sound awesome in some guitars but just "so-so" in others. I've never tried an EMG Hz so I am curious.

I am thinking about changing out the Duncans in my RR3 for EMG's but am afraid to do it since I would be running alot of wires around inside of it. If the Hz's are okay, it would be a lot easier to change them without pulling out the pots and jack too.

HZ's are very weak in comparison...Alexi uses that gain pre amp thingy too with his HZ's...
                          Hear the universe scream
                          Bleeding from black holes
                          Whom horns careless
                          And whom God mourns

Comment

> Put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.

Uh, that's gonna generate a hell lot of bass.....!
                            For passive pickups, try out some Kent Armstrong's. Now.
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post

Alexi's guitars have a HZ4 in his with a JE1200 preamp... if you want to get that sound, the EMG PA2 is made to get close... but I am not that familiar with the JE1200 system..
                              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Working...
                              X