Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna get my KV2 refretted, advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna get my KV2 refretted, advice needed!

I've been in dire need of a refret for quite a wqhile on my KV2.

I'm going in to get it done, however, if i have the hoice, i'd love to get the same fretwire on the RX10D put onto my KV2.

I just love those frets.

Would this cause any problems or is it the same as any other wire?

Cheers!

Woah, 80 views and no reply?

No-one has any experience with refretting or?

Comment

medium jumbo i think they are....... refrets are expensive like the 200-250 range
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Hmmmm, I'd say you're a jumbo fan so that's the way I'd go.
        Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I would go extra jumbo, personally. My last refret was done by Kamimoto Stringed Instruments, it was expensive, but came out nicely. His fret levels are better than his refrets though, IMO.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I like Dunlop 6100.

Comment

Aweosme, cheers guys!

Comment

I like Dunlop 6105's
                a little smaller than the Jumbo.
                GREAT fret wire!
                I can also do the refret if you need.

Comment

If i could turn back the clock, I'd have gone against my tech's advice and gone with 6100's instead of 6105's. I like both, but like the fuller 6100's to the skinnier 6105's.

KV2's have VERY narrow(width) wire. I didn't care for that when I had my red KV2.

This is a spendy time....so be SURE they're to your liking.

I LOVE low action, and had my tech make the radius 12-16". It was 12" before. It requires sanding the board, if you go too crazy, you could get in to the inlays...but if carefully done, it is WELL worth it.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out. Pics also.

Comment

If you could choose between regular 6100 or STAINLESS 6100, what would it be?

Comment

Why not both? I have a '63 SG Special with 6100 up to the 12th fret, then 6105 where it starts getting tight.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Why not both? I have a '63 SG Special with 6100 up to the 12th fret, then 6105 where it starts getting tight.
                        +1 Ala Jake E. Lee style
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Right, aweosme guys!

My refret on my kv2 is gonna be delayed due to me recording my new project using my Rx10D (suits this music more, ballsy guitar, EMGs, OFR, pimped out to hell), which is gonna take me up to sweden to do the vocals, haha

Refretting will happen as soon as i can and yes, pics

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                            +1 Ala Jake E. Lee style
                            I honestly didn't know that.

I did it back in '91, just a stupid kid at the time (who refrets a classic Gibson?). But I bought the guitar as a player. It had been re-fin'd, and has no serial number. In 2002, I found out the neck had been repaired at the heal, because I went to get it out of the closet and the neck was pulled up from the string tension.

I took it to Dan Erlewine, who did an A+! Fantasic job resetting the neck - solid as a rock. I also had him refinish the laquer - it was a brownish color and had severe buckle rash on the back. Now it looks awesome. He also did the frets and gave it a bone nut. He said he like the fret combo.

I'll never part with this axe, not because it isn't worth squat to a collector, but because of the main reason I bought it - the neck is the most perfect shape for me. Being a headbanger, you'd think I'd hate P90's, but they kick ass for getting a tight punchy tone like on Kill 'Em All.

Comment

Working...
                            X