Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson SL2H for sale - quick answers, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson SL2H for sale - quick answers, please?

Okay, I have a chance to get an SL2H from a local shop. They say it's a 1987, but I can't seem to find the serial range at Jackson's website. It's the Broken Glass finish, 2 Duncans, original Floyd, neck through, Made in USA.

The serial is U12373 - what is the correct year?

It has two genuine Seymour Duncan pups, but there is some kind of active circuit with a 9-volt battery inside the access cover. Is this factory or did someone add it in? Also, there is no toggle or whatnot to activate the boost or whatever it is. I guess when you plug a cable into it, it's just live.

They're asking $1100.00. Is this a decent price, assuming that they're right about it being a 1987?

I asked their repairman if he can rewire it and make the Duncans passive, bypassing the active boost or whatever with the battery. Thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

well a new SL2H is 2000g + (CND)
    seems like a good deal to me if its what it says it is ... no luck on the serial though
    as for the pups ... maybe they are live wires ... just like your jazz/Jb config. but active...
    ide say they were after market ... :\
    Last edited by TinTin8; 01-27-2007, 05:16 PM.

Comment

According to the serial number chart, it's post 2001. *shrug*
      Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Definitely not 1987 - it would be a Jxxxx number.

Can't say what the 9 volt/circuit is for without seeing it, but it's either leftover from a previous EMG setup or someone stuffed an AfterBurner or somesuch into it set to their favorite setting.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

that serial is definitely a newer guitar. I remember the big deal that was made just a few years ago when U10000 was built.

it's possible the preamp is activated with a push-pull knob. Or they've ditched the tone knob and use it to control the circuit
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Is that the one at GC?

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. And RR_YJMFAN, yes, it's the one at GC I posted about before.

Here's an update...

I went back over there and decided to pass on it. The body is in "like new" condition and it plays great, even though the electronics are a mystery at this point. Their repairman is really cool and he looked at it with me. He also suspects it to be aftermarket. Several GC salesmen have told me that the bridge pickup isn't wired. They had also told me this a couple of weeks ago when I was in there.

Two things:

1. The bridge pickup is most definitely wired.

2. I'm still puzzled as to why there's no obvious means of activating that circuit, whatever it's supposed to be.

I've never been a huge fan of neck-throughs. I like them, but if I get one eventually, I'll probably go with a WR1 Warrior.

EDIT: One other thing. Like someone mentioned in the other thread, this isn't the really cool broken glass finish like the original one. It's the newer cartoonish looking one.
              Last edited by PowerTube; 01-27-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I looked at it awhile back myself. I thought it was a newer one. Like '00 - '02 maybe. They had 1700 on then.

Sorry I didn't see your other thread until just now.
                Last edited by RR_YJMFAN; 01-27-2007, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  Or they've ditched the tone knob and use it to control the circuit
                  That's how I'm doing it on my RR project.
                  The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                    The serial is U12373 - what is the correct year?
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RR_YJMFAN View Post
                      I looked at it awhile back myself. I thought it was a newer one. Like '00 - '02 maybe. They had 1700 on then.

Sorry I didn't see your other thread until just now.
                      Yeah, the original sticker says $1695.00 on it. I picked it up this afternoon and one of the guys came over and asked me what I thought of it. I said it was nice, but that I could get a new one for that price or pretty close. He said, "Really? You can get a new one for $1100.00?" I hadn't noticed the markdown sticker.

So yeah, if you're still interested, it's $1100.00 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Good grief!

No surprise, though.

I'm no Jackson historian, but it just didn't have the "vibe" of a 1987/1988 model, if that makes sense. This Guitar Center never gets anything right. I can't tell you how many times they've either marked some old hunk of junk up into the stratosphere because it's "vintage" (never mind that nobody wanted it when it was new) or they've marked the wrong model on something.

A few years ago, they had an Indian-made DX10X stickered as a DX10D and priced to match a DX10D. I told them this at least three times, but apparently it was always "someone else's job" to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Can't say what the 9 volt/circuit is for without seeing it, but it's either leftover from a previous EMG setup or someone stuffed an AfterBurner or somesuch into it set to their favorite setting.
                          Yeah, I suspected that it might be from a previous EMG setup where they decided to reinstall the Duncans to put it back to stock for selling or trading it in.

Comment

Also, Ron, if you don't mind......can I have the source of your year information? I want to call them tomorrow and talk to a manager about their clueless asses.

Comment

Tell 'em Ron from GC #119 (Brea)
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X