No announcement yet.

Jackson VS. Rico Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rico Jr.'s are really nice guitars with good tone. I like the look of the vixen. i'll think it is mighty impressive (and it's big, which is good when you are 6.2/1,90). the headstock is a bit heavy though. A person i know had to change tuners on this to get it a bit better balanced.

You don't speak german? I'll got a review by a guitar magazin if you are interessed.
    "Don't mess with the Pudel of Death!"

Comment

Oh thanks but I don't

What about compared to a Jackson, would you say it's the same quality? Or Jacksons are "better" ? For one thing, the back plates on the Rico's don't look recessed or made of metal, anybody know this for sure? (not important, but it is a plus for me)

Comment

I haven't checked personally, but I heard that the price of Rans has increased dramatically. I would like to try out a Rico Jr. Vixen. I love the shape, and they seem to be very well made. Most of the Moser stuff is way too elaborate, but I like the Moser V (not the Bastard V), and of course the Bich (can't remember what they call it).

Did you try one of these yet?

http://www.rondomusic.net/hornet.html
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

hummm looks like the DV8 from ESP... oh wait, LOL, its a $200 guitar hehehe

Comment

I love the look of a Vixen.There was a killer orange,quilt top on eBay last year.Resale value might be really low.I would love to play one.

Comment

I would say that Rico's guitars are of comparable quality to the Jackson customs that I have seen. Bernie Rico Jr. builds his guitars in what used to be BC Rich's custom shop in Hysperia California. I have several guitars from that shop and each one is a fabulous instrument. The work he had on display at NAMM this year was first rate, and from what I understand his crew is the same as has been working the Hysperia shop since the mid 90's when it was BC Rich.

My only dig on Junior is that he does not have a Explorer / Kelly style body shape (which I like). If you get serious about a custom Rico, feel free to contact John Kade, [email protected], who seems to front a lot of the custom shop work for them.

Comment

Yes Ran prices have gone up a lot, a long with the wait times
                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Fucking sucks more so on the wait time.....

Should have had my second Ran in october but it's now just been finished, havent got the pictures yet, I know a guy with a vixen iron cross model, he's owned a few nice guitars so i'll ask him about it, can't you get a custom jackson for 4500us?

Stars is another option you can get some nice guitars from them...

good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                    hummm looks like the DV8 from ESP... oh wait, LOL, its a $200 guitar hehehe
                    Perfect for that Megadeth tribute band!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I was looking at the Ran pics and none of the guitars seem to have a neck angle. A neck angle isn't necessary but some people like it; I prefer a neck angle on my guitars. It's important if you want a Kahler because the saddles need to be jacked up pretty high.

As far as Rico's build crew, they're supposedly made in San Diego (that's what he told Neal Moser). BCR's since the early 90's have been built in BC South in Mexico, not in Hesperia. They might have been assembled there but the body carving was done in Mexico. If he's using Shawn Ortiz for his finishes, you may run into problems. Some people with BCRs from the late 90's and later have had clearcoat bubbling problems.

Comment

I wonder why Jackson raised 'em prices..... Fender maybe?

As far as "looks" the Rico's (vixen) look nice and pristine, but I dunno...

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                          I wonder why Jackson raised 'em prices..... Fender maybe?

As far as "looks" the Rico's (vixen) look nice and pristine, but I dunno...
                          Because they needed to for both quality and quantity reasons. AMIC let things go for far too long. I don't like the increase either, but it is justified.

As for Bernie's axes, they are quality, but are they Jacksons?? I couldn't compare the two.
                          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Ran are good guitars - and from Poland

Comment

Working...
                            X