Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool RR Discovery Last Weekend

A quick story:
    The other guitar player in my band had told me about a year ago that he owned an old Randy Rhoads Jackson after I came to practice with a Soloist that I hadn't brought before. He didn't really say much about it except that it needed some work and was not really playable. Since the two guitars he now uses are not expensive models, I assumed this Rhoads was an import as well.

Fast forward to our last band practice. I have been doing some work on an old BC Rich Mockingbird Bass for our bass player and while discussing it, Pat (the other guitar player) brought up the Jackson again. I said to bring it to the next practice and I would take it home and work on it.
    So I show up today and what is he holding? RR04XX...black Custom with brass pickguard and V-tailpiece. He purchased the guitar new in '84.

He put EMG's in it when he bought it, but he still has the original Duncans. It's been well played but still looks pretty good. The brass is very tarnished, two knobs are missing, and there is some overspray on the upper edge where armwear wore through the paint. It's got a different neck profile than any other Rhoads model that ever played...it's a very square shouldered semi-chunky D shape...I like it.

Looks like it's going to need the truss rod loosened (backbowed), paint buffed, brass polished, and the electronics checked out (Pat wants to keep the EMG's in it for now, but they putting out a very weak signal even with a new battery).

I can't believe that I've been in a band with this guy for about a year now and never knew what he actually owned...one of my holy grail instruments from my youth!

Here are a few pics:

Killer. Ask if he'll sell it to you.
    My Main Rig:
    '87 Charvel Model 4A
    Peavey KB100 amp
    Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
    '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    '05 Ibanez RG320FM
    '86 Ovation Pinnacle
    '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
    '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

Heh, this was you when you opened the case:
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

KILLER!...
        Looks good...I suggest that you should put the
        original duncans back...

Anyway
        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

If I were you, I'd be angling to score that from him. Especially since it sits unused, he might take a cash offer.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
            If I were you, I'd be angling to score that from him. Especially since it sits unused, he might take a cash offer.
            +1
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Can *I* have it??

:-D

Comment

I'd be looking to score that, pronto. And, other than the pickups and knobs, do nothing else to it.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  I'd be looking to score that, pronto. And, other than the pickups and knobs, do nothing else to it.
                  Amen, brother. Strike while the iron is hot...and it IS hot right now!
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nice!
                    äss howl

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                      Amen, brother. Strike while the iron is hot...and it IS hot right now!

Yeah, you should buy it NOW or the whole forum is after this beauty!!!

Comment

what did you say his name and phone number was again?

Comment

holy crap.......... snatch that from under him.......hell EMGS from 84 will be a little token on the bay....
                          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Whoa, looks exactly like the one Randy himself was playing.. except the rear strap button looks kinda high up near the jack... like Henrik pointed out on his site where he compares a US rr1 with an Japan import rhoads pro. That and the headstock logo (printed on instead of mop)

Tell him "bah, since you're not using it & you need some cash real bad, i'll give you $150 for it."
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Tell him you'll quit banging his sister if he sells it to you.
                              Strat God Music
                              http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Working...
                              X