USA Fusion body - which neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOT a fusion:

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Not to question you or anything, but that looks exactly like a USA fusion in the Jackson catalogs.

Does it have a 25 1/2" scale, or what makes you say it isn't a fusion?

If it does have the long scale, I guess that would in fact make it a USA Dinky.

This is so damned confusing!!!!

Comment

I don't think the old question was ever answered: are Jackson's bolt-on scale differences based on the neck alone or the body or both?

It seems to me you could make one body and 2 different necks and they would be interchangeable, or you could cut the neck heel of a Fusion a bit deeper towards the bridge and have 2 totally different bodies that will only ever work with the correct necks.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Measure from the heel edge of the neck pocket along the center of the body to the Floyd post(imagine a line drawn between the 2 posts and measure to where it would cross the center of the body). Send me that measurement and I will calculate what scale and #fret neck you need for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            I don't think the old question was ever answered: are Jackson's bolt-on scale differences based on the neck alone or the body or both?

It seems to me you could make one body and 2 different necks and they would be interchangeable, or you could cut the neck heel of a Fusion a bit deeper towards the bridge and have 2 totally different bodies that will only ever work with the correct necks.
            It seems to me that there is a difference between short and long scale bodies.
            The distance between the bridge post and the end of the neck on my short scale ATpro (short scale) is 5 5/16", and on my 650 xl (long scale) it's just a hair under 5 5/8", a difference of nearly 5/16".
            That would certainly screw up the intonation if the wrong neck was used.

I don't have this body in hand yet, so unfortunately can't do any measurements on it.

The date written into the neck pocket shows Oct.22 1990, and USA fusions with that color scheme were being made at that time, which I had thought made it clear, but I'm not so sure anymore.

I'd hate to spend money on the wrong neck!

I guess my original question was a bit premature, considering that now I'm not sure what the hell it is that I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
              Measure from the heel edge of the neck pocket along the center of the body to the Floyd post(imagine a line drawn between the 2 posts and measure to where it would cross the center of the body). Send me that measurement and I will calculate what scale and #fret neck you need for it.
              That would be great, however as I'd just mentioned in the last post, I don't have the body in hand yet.

I will try to email the seller and ask him to measure it, assuming he hasn't mailed it already.
              By the way the heel edge rout on this body is rather curved, would you still measure from the center of that to the center of the posts?
              If he can get me the measurements, I'll pass them on to you. Thanks!!

I'd like to get to the bottom of this. You never know when the good deals will pop up on ebay, or elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 37fiat View Post
                It seems to me that there is a difference between short and long scale bodies.
                The distance between the bridge post and the end of the neck on my short scale ATpro (short scale) is 5 5/16", and on my 650 xl (long scale) it's just a hair under 5 5/8", a difference of nearly 5/16".
                That would certainly screw up the intonation if the wrong neck was used.
                As well, you're comparing a neckthrough to a bolt-on, and if the difference is really in the neck and not the body, it's natural that you would get a different measurement if you used the end of the fretboard as a measurement point.

You'd have to find two bolt-ons, one Fusion and one Dinky, remove the necks and measure from the center of the back (curved) edge of the neck pocket to the center of the bridge posts.

I've owned several 1990 USA Fusions, but did not think to do this until after I had sold them

I do recall measuring an early-90s Dinky body once (Color Dragon? or was it the B&W Dragon?) but can't recall what the distance was.

I just measured a WRXT body and it's 6 7/8" from the center of the curve to the center of the posts.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Both the body and the neck vary on the fusion vs Dinky models afaik. Pickups spacing are cloer together and bridge positioning relative to the neck seems closer on a fusion. The 24.75 scale also plays different than 25.5.

Comment

Are you sure it was 6 7/8" and not 5 7/8" ?
                    That would be a LONG distance, except of course if it's a 22 fret neck, which would bring another variable into it.
                    I feel like my brain's about ready explode!!

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what's a WRXT?

Comment

kinda an explorer meets a kelly bastard.

Comment

Ah... a Warrior wrxt! Those are 25 1/2" scale, 24 fret.

I kinda like that body style, looks like it was made for country music!:ROTF:

Comment

Oops, yeah 5 7/8", may bad

Comment

Originally posted by 37fiat View Post
                            Not to question you or anything, but that looks exactly like a USA fusion in the Jackson catalogs.

Does it have a 25 1/2" scale, or what makes you say it isn't a fusion?

If it does have the long scale, I guess that would in fact make it a USA Dinky.

This is so damned confusing!!!!
                            Yes, it was a standard scale Dinky. Some of the pre-DK1 Dinkys had this configuration. I wish I would have kept this one. I bought it thinking it would be a shortscale, but ended up being 25.5" (which I was happy about).
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                            X