Jackson Soloists kill Gibson SGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Soloists kill Gibson SGs

I sold my Vetta 2 today locally. The guy brought over his guitar to play through it before he bought it. He had an SG 61 Reissue.

The difference between his SG and my Soloist was huge. The Jackson blew it away in every category, in every tonal range, for clarity, etc. There wasn't one thing the SG did better. My Jackson has a SD Custom 5 while the SG had Gibson 57 Classics. I was shocked at how much better it sounded.

... so he brought back an amp and a dead guitar?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I don't think so. I'm sure I could find some things the SG does better. Probably was the crappy Vetta making it sound bad

Comment

that might explain it. Blame the Vetta.

Of course it doesn't explain why a Soloist would sound 10x better through the same Vetta.

I've played the VOS SG's before, and they're great. In fact, they cost only a few 100 more than the 61 Reissues. I think the build difference between the two is absolutely enormous.

Comment

I hate SGs.
          My Main Rig:
          '87 Charvel Model 4A
          Peavey KB100 amp
          Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
          '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
          '05 Ibanez RG320FM
          '86 Ovation Pinnacle
          '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
          '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

I like both

Comment

They both have their place in the guitar spectrum.

"I like the tin man."

Comment

An SG would work better than a Soloist if you were in these bands:

http://www.beefydc.com/ Great live!!!!

I like SGs if they have a thin neck, it seems to vary alot - the new ones are definitly baseball bats, but the sound is always classic (unless it's a dud like you describe).
                Last edited by tanpsi; 02-19-2007, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Well I have 2 SL2H s and 1 SG 61 R. These are 2 differents beasts imho. Sure the SG sounds thin comparing to Les Pauls but I love it. I am a big ACDC and Sabbath fan , so I need it

Comment

Well the SG used in Pillar' has got a great sound!

Comment

as much as i want too, i just can't get past the neck. feels like a louisville slugger ...
                      ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Ive had both guitars. Soloist kills and SG - no comparison in tonal flexibility, playability and pyrotechnics. A soloist is just flat out a superior guitar period.

Of course its stylish now adays to play Gibsons. And if you want to sound like AC DC or those bands that played an SG then get an SG.

But about the only thing you can do with them is get that Mahogany sound with them.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

i liked the SG for over driven & straight rock N roll sounds, the soloists was a little thin for that, tho a 2hum soloist might have been better for that.....granted i sold my SG & still have a soloist.

Comment

I don't like the baseball bat necks on the SG, and just have never been overly enthused with the way they sound. And for some reason I just hate they way they look. I've tried a few out thinking they might add something tonaly that I don't already have, but I have a custom build that can nail the AC/DC sound as well as Sabbath. And it has a Jackson neck. So I just gave up on the SG's all together.

Comment

I'm a sucker for Les Pauls. I love the big 50s neck profile.
                              But SGs don't work for me. The anaemic body coupled to the average Gibson neck makes for a top-heavy beast I don't like to play.
                              Hey Nonny Nonny Milord!
                              http://www.monsterjoe.be

Comment

Working...
                              X