Jackson Soloists kill Gibson SGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danastas View Post
    Well, I admit I was playing with a Soloist Archtop, it's probably got more wood to it in terms of mass that an SG.
    Dude, you can bring a forest full of wood and Angus will just chop it down
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
      Want to hear a real shocker? I once owned a cherry sunburst Les Paul Custom (Gibson, not Epiphone) for three days. I took it back and traded it in for.....are you ready for this?....a Kramer Focus 1000.

Seriously. It was a combination of things:

1. I had wanted a Floyd for some time.

2. I discovered that the Gibson PAF's weren't really for me.

3. The Les Paul was so gorgeous that I was afraid to play out with it anywhere.

I have no regrets about the above decision and I still have that Kramer.

Memories...

I did just the opposite: traded a Salmon Pink Focus 1000 to my best friend for his '76 SG and a Striker 300 with single-locking Floyd Rose (Vinnie Moore style).

Sold the Kramer for $100 about a year later and traded the SG to a pawn shop for a no-name silverburst Strat copy
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You sure it wasn't Malcolm?

Anyway, I had the, um, pleasure of having Angus Young sweat on me as I stood front row for "For Those About to Rock..." in 83 or thereabouts.

Love those guys. But i think Tim, you're proving my point. Hacks should not buy Gibson SGs. My Soloist makes the worst player ever sound good. The SG can't.

Comment

Love those guys. But i think Tim, you're proving my point. Hacks should not buy Gibson SGs. My Soloist makes the worst player ever sound good. The SG can't.
          So basically you are saying that the dude that bought your Vetta is a hack :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I think your making a strange comparison myself. I collect both Gibson and Charvel Jackson, but If your going to compare them try a Charvel or Jackson strat and a Les Paul, to an explorer. Secondly, A vintage Sg has slight tonal qualities that your not going to hear through that amp, and your also never going to hear using a Soloist thats less then 20Y old. Gibsons have the vintage tone thing down.. Go and listen to Angus Young's Sound.. thats an SG, a Cord and a Marshall. Nothing else. Nothing! Its memorable and You know that Angus's sound as soon as you hear 2 notes. Not to many shredder guitars give your that capability.

Comment

The problem here is modeling with a classic guitar. that guitar need a vintage amp to sound it's best. Play it through a 60's marshall or a Fender and here how good it really sounds. It's a different tone then todays Jackson metal guitars.
              Personally I don't care for that classic tone .

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                The problem here is modeling with a classic guitar. that guitar need a vintage amp to sound it's best. Play it through a 60's Marshall or a Fender and here how good it really sounds. It's a different tone then todays Jackson metal guitars.
                Personally I don't care for that classic tone .

Dan
                Thats whats Cool about everyone being a different flavor of the same pack of gum. I am the opposite. As I get older, I'm like "what a shame all these guys like Petrucci, Satch and the rest, have all this talent, yet insist on playing those generic sounding computers with strings. Everyones Ear is is different. I grew up with EVH and guys that Basically played modded Charvel strats. The Soloist (I own 2) was Like an American Ibanez, or for me, coming from being a Kramer freak, a stagemaster with a better neck. I always feel that these axes are loved for the way they feel and play more then the way they sound. Maybe I don't give mine enough of a chance, I don't know. My Good ones a Great quality Early San Dimas Soloist. And still we have never made friends, and I keep it away from the Charvels so they don't fight.

Comment

Essentially. Thanks for reducing my profound realization to this:

Comment

I wish you all were here to hear the difference. Let me say this again: the difference in tone was as large as the Pacific, in every range, in every category. The trouble is, Angus wasn't here to play through the Vetta, and I doubt he'll be stopping by soon to prove me wrong. I wouldn't have bothered posting this if the two guitars were even close.

My archtop, by the way, is way more versatile than being a mere shredder. It's the best guitar I have, and I have a few decent ones.

Comment

Let's do this by price range: Both my Soloist Archtop and the SG Reissue cost $2000 brand new.

An USA select Soloist is going to go for $1200-1300 brand new (at least where I shop).

We're talking about two different quality guitars.

It's my fault that I didn't make this more specific up top in the first post. But I thought the SG RI to Jackson SLAT was a fair comparison because they cost the same.

This is a pic of my Soloist by the way.

Comment

An USA select Soloist is going to go for $1200-1300 brand new (at least where I shop).

12-1300 is below dealer cost on a Soloist...
                        Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Let's do this by price range: Both my Soloist Archtop and the SG Reissue cost $2000 brand new.

We're talking about two different quality guitars.

It's my fault that I didn't make this more specific up top in the first post. But I thought the SG RI to Jackson SLAT was a fair comparison because they cost the same.

This is a pic of my Soloist by the way.
                          My 750XL kicks your SLAT's ass:ROTF:

Comment

funny I keep a pic of your guitar (s)( the soloist) as my screen saver.. There was a file with a bunch of J/C's, an all white in particular cought my attention.

PS, I would take the SL over the 750's . Thats A purdy geetar

Comment

I just had the opportunity to AB my SLATQH and a run of the mill late model SG through a rig at a studio. I didn't find the SG to be remarkably inferior tone-wise when runnng a good amount of drive. It had more of a snarling edge to it that was cool. The Jackson was more refined and smooth. The Jackson neck is what it all comes down to for me.

Comment

I'll damn sure take my soloist over any SG any day of the week.........
                                “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

Working...
                                X