Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help about USA Custom DK1 - Yellow Bengal

Hey folks,
    I bought a USA Jackson DK1 Yellow Bengal. Serial Number is 4 digits starting with 88 or 86 I believe (it's at work). Anyway, on the Jackson website it says that the 4 digit bolt on serial #'s are made in the custom shop (which I don't think the seller knew because he sold it to me for a grand and it is less than a year old).

Anyway, what is the difference between the production model USA DK1 -YB and the custom shop model USA DK1 - YB? Also, what is the price difference of these typically? Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rip

There isn't a custom shop model as such - the specs would be whatever the customer ordered.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

What you have is a Custom Shop Dinky.
      The seller probably knew. Alot of CS guitars... especially bolt-ons, don't really sell for what the original buyer paid for it.
      It would have to be unique, in a good way, for a CS piece to hold its value.
      A Bengal paint job on a Dinky is nothing new. It's been done so many times that I'm surprised it's not a standard finish option now.
      Oh wait... it is.

Regardless... you got a good deal.
      Last edited by rjohnstone; 02-20-2007, 08:14 AM. Reason: it's to its... just for you Ron. ;)
      -Rick

Comment

Also, the production USA Dinky since 1996 has been called DK-1, but if it's a CS it would be referred to as a Dinky custom. They are built in the same facility.

Get the ser# and pics of course.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Also, the production USA Dinky since 1996 has been called DK-1, but if it's a CS it would be referred to as a Dinky custom. They are built in the same facility.

Get the ser# and pics of course.

I just assumed that it was a DK-1 because it is a bolt on Dinky.

Comment

So basically, what we have here is a custom shop Dinky that was ordered by a specific customer from the custom shop with some feature that doesn't come standard on a DK-1. I know it is custom shop because the 4 digit serial number 8388. Too bad I can't narrow down the year of production.

Now I am curious what the custom feature is. I'll tell you one thing, the shaved/unfinished neck feels kinda thick. Not at all like my Ibanez wizard necks. Maybe I am just used to them? Other than that it has the standard EMG setup and an orange inner color surrounded by yellow with the bengal stripes all over it.

It just makes me wonder why the guy didn't just buy an off the line yellow bengal DK-1.

Thanks for the info and any other inputs with more information would be appreciated.

Rip

Comment

One more thing???

sorry to sound stupid, but what is the production difference between the custom Dinky's and the production line DK-1's? Is there like 1 dude dedicated to work each piece or something? Just wondering.

Rip

Comment

Strat God Music
                http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Orange inner color? Sounds like a Lynch Bengal, which is not a standard finish.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Orange inner color? Sounds like a Lynch Bengal, which is not a standard finish.
                    that's what I was thinking. Non-standard graphic, possibly a thicker neck profile? There might be other subtle features that aren't immediately apparent, that the original owner wanted but weren't offered on the production model
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Ripster003 View Post
                      sorry to sound stupid, but what is the production difference between the custom Dinky's and the production line DK-1's? Is there like 1 dude dedicated to work each piece or something? Just wondering.

Rip
                      The difference can be anything from finish to neck profile, number of frets, pickups, hardware... darn near anything.
                      Oh yea... and the price tag.
                      -Rick

Comment

This is the only pic I have right now. The neck is smooth with no finish whatsoever. The Jackson website has orange on the bengal too.
                        Last edited by Ripster003; 02-20-2007, 09:23 AM.

Comment

sweet guitar.. that's all I can say
                          äss howl

Comment

That's 'just' a DK1, not a custom. From what I recall, all my bolt-on Jacksons have 4 digit serials....

Oh, and a dinky is inherently bolt-on.
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Agreed. That's a standard production USA Select DK1, with the yellow bengal graphic. Both USA Selects and true custom shop guitar orders are made in the USA custom shop. But that guitar is a standard production model, not a true custom order.

Comment

Working...
                              X