Heroes in a half-shell.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes in a half-shell.....

For the last 20 years, Danny Spitz's TMNT dinky RR has been my holygrail #1 guitar, and so here's the story of my new toy.....

The history of this guitar starts back in June 2005. Thankfully the stupid "no artist replica" policy wasn't in force at this time, but FMIC had already brought in 'regulations' about use of copyrighted graphics. Still, I wasn't to be deterred - I disussed my plan with Matt, who gave me some direction as to what I needed to do, and off I went. Obviously, I needed to find out who owned the rights to the Ninja Turtles, and how to contact them. I actually struck gold pretty fast - there is (or was) and TMNT forum, so I emailed the admins with my request, and they passed my details on to the CEO of the company which owns (or owned) the rights. He was really cool and helpful, and put up with much back and forth, simply because FMIC legal needed to hear direct from the copyright owner, not through me (fair enough, as I could just make it up I guess).

Then it was down to sorting out the specs of the guitar itself - we did try to get FMIC to locate the original work order, but apparently the artist guitar W/Os were 'in storage', so that wasn't gonna happen. The specs kind of wrote themselves (with Jani's help!), but there are some differences, notably the neck profile (I assume) and the toggle switch - the orignal had a gibson style toggle, but no idea what it did! Basically, I wanted to use it as a kill switch, but they don't do a 2-way toggle, so we agreed to go for a mini-switch. We had no idea what body wood that the original had, but I love the sound of my USA Select, so we went for alder. The other 'non spec'd' difference is that the paint joint at the neck is the old-school type on Danny's, but mine has the current 'wrap round' style.

I got word that the guitar was finished about 3 weeks ago, and so I've been on tenderhooks ever since, worrying about shipping damage, importing to Canada etc etc. Still, it's done now, and here's the evolution of my ultimate #1 holy grail......

First pic of 2414

From Dan Lawrence:

Back to FMIC:

On to Matt:

Then finally, here it is with it's brothers

and here's a pretty crap pic of the original:

According to Mike Kotzen, this is the last 'unauthorised' artist replica that will ever leave the Custom Shop, so I guess that makes it that little more special! I'm just glad that they didn't cut it into pieces like they did on two completed Vinnie Vincent guitars :shock: In case anyone is considering it, about 8 months ago I contacted Gary again about getting permission for another turtles Jackson (the Soloist this time), but he wasn't interested, so it would seem to have been a one-time deal.

I'd like to thank Matt for all his help, and putting up with my hassles with good grace - as you've probably gathered, this guitar is a MASSIVE deal to me, and as such, I was a little more 'ansy' that I would normally be, and I'm normally pretty ansy - we can finally put this one to bed, and I think we both deserve a drink
    Last edited by neilli; 03-02-2007, 10:35 AM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Coolest guitar ever.

Comment

Nice!! completed just in time for the release for the new ninja turtle movie ... lol

Comment

Man, that is badASS...... I was obsessed with the Ninja Turtles when I was a kid and I still love 'em now (and I'm 24). I must admit, I know you wanted a complete replica of the origional but if I was going to get one done then I'd get them to do the different bandana colours instead of all red.

P.S, Where's Leonardo?... on the back or something?
        sigpic
        And on the 8th day,
        God kicked back with a beer,
        And gave that Jackson one helluva beating!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Badass !!!!!!

Comment

Unbelievable. Congrats on realizing your dream, Ian. That one is world class.
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Very cool. Congrats.

I think I just saw a commercial last night for a new TMNT CGI movie?

Comment

awesome, Ian. Congrats!
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Damn awesome guitar.

This should be a lesson to anyone with wanting copyrighted graphics. They will do it if you obtain permission. You just have to do the legwork.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Awsome, the turtle guys are from my area (Northampton), cool guys and I'm sure they are proud of that guitar!
                      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Awesome, as stated above

except the upper tip seems a bit shorter.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                          except the upper tip seems a bit shorter.

Didn't Danny Spitz always get his Rhoads' slightly downsized?
                          sigpic
                          And on the 8th day,

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                            Hey Neilli, why don't you get a pair of them there Jestsons pants to go with ya Jackson, then you'll truely look the part?
                            sigpic
                            And on the 8th day,

Comment

Amazing guitar! Aside from the worry, those three weeks of anticipation must've been killing you. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X