Help! Stinky DK-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Stinky DK-1

I just bought a used DK-1 through the mail from a shop in new York. The guitar is in great condition but it STINKS! I mean BAD! like it's been left in a barroom absorbing smoke. I'm sure the previous owner was a smoker. When I opened the case I nearly fell over by the smell. After I play it for a while the smell transfers over to me, on my hands and my shirt. I've cleaned it the best I could, Ly soled the case and put some dryer sheets in the case but got no real help. The fretboard and neck are the worst part. Any ideas? Thanks.

stand it in the garden on a sunny day?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

hmmmm....here's what comes to mind for me:

- febreeze the case and leave it open for a few days
      - take the guitar apart, soak the floyd in WD40 overnight and scrub it w/a toothbrush
      - clean the body with guitar polish and then wax it
      - clean the neck with wood cleaner (murphy's oil soap for example), and re-oil the board and then gunstock oil the neck
      - reassemble and enjoy!

best of luck!
      sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Scrub the case with an automotive interior cleaner, like "Tuff Stuff" (Use a lot of rags. Auto towels are the best. Leave the guitar outside (only if it's not raining or snowing) like Wilk said. In the case, use Meguires Odor eater spray (pump bottle, yellow transparent container) You can find these in a auto parts store, Walmart, Target etc.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I hate when that happens. My wife contracted with a local seamstress to put up curtains in our bedroom recently, and because I had to have blackouts put behind them, it turned into an ordeal. When I learned about what it would cost, I almost had a heart attack, because I couldn't very well argue to my wife that it would cost as much as a Dweezil Charvel, could I? Anyway, the curtains came and they stunk like smoke. We asked the lady to take them back, she said, sorry, no can do, you never said you would mind the smell of smoke.

Febreeze over 5 days worked.

Comment

Sorry but it's funny. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode "The Smell" I think it's called. With that monster B.O.

Yeah, what Sully said. let it air out and give it on "overhaul" cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
              Sorry but it's funny. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode "The Smell" I think it's called. With that monster B.O.

Yeah, what Sully said. let it air out and give it on "overhaul" cleaning.
              you beat me to it!!!

Comment

Stop using the case. My Model 6 was just the same. I just cleaned the cavities and left it out of the case for a couple of days, and the smell went away.

The case was another story. This is a flight case with cut foam in it. I've let it weather out for long periods of time, but it still reeks. I will probably have to replace all the foam in it.

Comment

I've just about got the smell out of the case..It's the guitar that still stinks. I sprayed fa breeze all in the case and wiped it all in. I'm going to let the guitar air out outside and then clean it again per everyones recommendations. If anyone has any other tips please let me know. Much thanks.

Comment

Take up smoking and you'll never smell it again!
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Go to your local pet store and get some charcoal filters for either a fish tank or cat litter box, put them in the case with the guitar.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

For the guitar Sunbane may have the solution. I had a Model 1 that had the smoke smell. I took the pickups out and cleaned the control and pickup cavities. For some reason the smell gets in there too. After I put it all back together no smell was on or in the guitar.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                          I knew someone would eventually post that!

Comment

What also works is ground coffee, believe it or not, this stuff absorbs the meanest smells.
                            Spread it inside the case, put the guitar in, close the case and let it rest for a few days. Then open the case and remove the coffee with a vacuum cleaner. If the guitar still smells repeat it.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                              curse all you pink-lunged bastards and your "sense of smell".....
                              I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

Working...
                              X