Jackson Soloist SLATQH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Soloist SLATQH

Anyone know much about these guys? I have never seen one (in person) or played one but there are a few on "The Bay" and they are catching my eye.

Absolutely a killer looking instrument. Is this basically a "high end soloist?" or am I missing something?

?????????????????????

March

The SLATQH is definetly a high end Jackson but some differences from a regular Soloist: its Mahogany, archtop, string thru, and 22 frets. They sound and play incredible. Depending on the date of manufacture they may have a painted neck or natural neck. No longer in regular production.
    I have two of them and they are amazing!

Rudy
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Here's the spec. sheet for the mid-to-late period SLATQH (soloist archtop quilt hardtail). I don't think the discontinued date is the correct final one, as mine was built in '06.

Model Name: SLATQH SoloistTM
      Model Number: 280-3073-(Color#)
      Series: USA Select Series<A0>Limited Edition
      Body: Mahogany with 3/4" Quilt Maple Top on Transparent Colors
      Neck: Neck-Thru-Body Quartersawn Mahogany
      Fingerboard: Ebony
      No. of Frets: 22 Jumbo Frets
      Scale Length: 25.5"
      Width @ Nut: 1-11/16"
      Hardware: Gold-Plated
      Machine Heads: Die-Cast Tuners
      Bridge: JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body
      Pickguard: None
      Pickups: Seymour Duncan<AE> JBTM TB14 Humbucking Pickup
      Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle:
      Position 1. Bridge Pickup
      Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
      Position 3. Neck Pickup
      Controls: Master Volume,
      Master Tone
      Colors: Transparent Colors Group C:
      (800) Amber Lager Burst (ALB)
      (801) Amber Sunburst (ASB)
      (815) Burnt Cherry Sunburst (BCB)
      (820) Cherry Sunburst (CSB)
      (838) Faded Wine Red (FWR)
      (850) Cabo (CABO)
      (858) Natural (NAT)
      (862) Raspberry Burst (RSPB)
      (882) Tobacco Sunburst (TSB)
      (885) Transparent Black (TBK)
      (886) Transparent Blue (TB)
      (887) Transparent Green (TG)
      (889) Transparent Cobalt Blue (TCB)
      (890) Transparent Red (TR)
      (894) Violin Brown (VB)
      Strings: NPS, XL, (.009 to .042)
      Unique Features: Compound (12" to 16") Fingerboard Radius,
      Mother of Pearl Shark Fin Position Inlays,
      Bound Fingerboard and Headstock,
      Bone Nut,
      Matching Headstock,
      Inlaid Mother-of-Pearl Jackson Logo,
      Mother-of-Pearl Tipped Q-Parts<AE> Control Knobs,
      CTS<AE> Pots and Switchcraft<AE> Switches
      Source: USA
      Accessories: Deluxe Molded Case P/N 0060699000, JCC921USA, US MSRP $119.95 (Inc
      luded)
      U.S. MSRP: $3,199.99
      DISCONTINUED: 1/2005
      DISCONTINUED COLORS: (853) Mahogany (MAH) (11/2003) P/N Switched off as it was
      redundant with Natural
      COMMENTS: Switch from Oil Finish Neck, to Painted in 10/2003
      WRENCH SIZES: Ball End Truss Rod Wrench 3/8",

There are a fair collection of pictures in this recent thread:

The older guitars have Pirahna inlays and most recent have painted necks...

Comment

While they are awesome guitars, they are very different from a Soloist. Mine has a baseball bat for a neck.................

Comment

This is just my opinion, but the Soloist custom archtops are better guitars than the SLATQH line. I know they are very similar in terms of woods, but I suspect there is simply more mass to the Archtops. I have always found SLATQHs (I've tried 3 of them) to be unbalanced. The neck is always dropping on me.

Have a look at this SLATQH:

The Music Zoo is a world renowned online guitar store with a deep selection of acoustic guitars, electric guitars, & bass guitars in-stock. Buy guitar amplifiers, effects pedals, guitar pickups, guitar accessories, and guitar parts online now. Authorized dealer for Gibson, Fender, Martin, PRS, Yamaha & Taylor Guitars.

And then these archtops:

The Music Zoo is a world renowned online guitar store with a deep selection of acoustic guitars, electric guitars, & bass guitars in-stock. Buy guitar amplifiers, effects pedals, guitar pickups, guitar accessories, and guitar parts online now. Authorized dealer for Gibson, Fender, Martin, PRS, Yamaha & Taylor Guitars.

Great selection of high quality musical instruments. Fast Free Shipping! Authorized Dealer for Gibson, Fender, Martin, Taylor, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, National, Collings, Eastman, Tom Anderson

What are the build differences, I wonder. What does the QH stand for? Quilt? Huh?

Comment

I can tell you I love mine. I has a great tone, smooth and balanced when playing with a lot of drive and or distortion. I mean when playing chords this way the guitar articulates all notes in an even and pleasing way. It has great sustain too, not just on midrange notes but going up past the 12th fret on the B or high E it holds singing high notes. It just has a nice native tone. The neck is noticablely thinner than my other everyday player which is a regular 2005 les paul custom. I'd swear it was a little wider too but the spec sheets both say 1 /11/16" nut width . Plays like a dream for my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
              Have a look at this SLATQH:

And then these archtops:

Great selection of high quality musical instruments. Fast Free Shipping! Authorized Dealer for Gibson, Fender, Martin, Taylor, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, National, Collings, Eastman, Tom Anderson

What are the build differences, I wonder. What does the QH stand for? Quilt? Huh?

Quilt and Humbuckers

Comment

Anyone know how many SLATQM's were made? I love my SLATQH btw.

Comment

Since I'd have to buy it sight unseen, how close is it to a Soloist series?
                  Anyone? I like the neck through soloists a lot. I will miss the tremie but the SLATQH's look gorgeous, I mean they really have a high quality, beautiful look to them.

Lemme ask...if I got one from "The Bay" and played it for a month and didn't really like it, how easy would it be for me to resell it (is there a demand for these?). Or is it one of those "odd ball" models that didn't take off and nobody but the "rarified collector" wants to put into a glass case so he can dreamily look at it and say, "ahhhh...so minty!"???

March

Comment

SLATQH's seem to sell pretty easily. That is as long as you don't overpay for it in the first place. I always played Rhoads' and Soloists and I still felt right at home as far as comfort goes the very first time I picked up a SLATQH. Really awesome guitars!

Rudy
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
                      Quilt and Humbuckers
                      I think "Q" stands for Quartersawn...

SL - Soloist
                      AT - Arched top
                      Q - Quartersawn
                      H - humbuckers

is my guess...
                      Sam

Comment

Awesome guitars

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                          I think "Q" stands for Quartersawn...

SL - Soloist
                          AT - Arched top
                          Q - Quartersawn
                          H - humbuckers

is my guess...
                          That makes no sense...a regular SL1 has a quartersawn neck as well....

I was pretty sure it stood for Quilt as well.
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

^ yes, I think you are right. that was a very old post. I got that info from a Ebay seller. Obviously, he didnt know what he was selling. :ROTF:
                            Last edited by emperor_black; 07-15-2007, 10:27 PM.
                            Sam

Comment

I've never seen one in person myself but they seem to sell pretty easily on the bay whenever I see em up.

Comment

Working...
                              X