• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a crying shame...

Good Luck Sully Man, Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
      Yep, I used to live in your area. I bought my Gibson J-200 at his shop in 1989. I don't know about their repairs though. He had a lot of high end stuff though and by the time you read this, you probably already know or at least get an idea of what's needed with your guitar.
      just got back from charley's and they have a lot of cool stuff there. lots of andersons and les pauls. saw a white 3 pickup les paul with a kahler on it. don't see that a lot these days.

anyway, the guys at charley's are really nice and seem to do a lot of good work. sadly, they're not set up for finish work, so they gave me a referral to a guy who they said does great paint matchup work. sadly, he does it out of his house, so i left him a message.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Damn, Sully. Good times and bad times, all rolled together. I hope you get her back together as good as new.

Comment

ok, maybe someone can help me preparing my insurance file:

I need some proof about the current resell value of an LTD, so maybe anyone saved the endprice of one going on ebay with the reference? If so, PM me please.

Comment

i also have this thread in the ebay folder:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...300#post903300
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ouch - glory and a bummer rolled into one. I'm sure it will be good as new at some point - bummer that you have to go through the work to get it back there though.

Comment

HOW DO THEY REPAIR something like that?
                85 Jackson 87 model1 87 model6

Comment

Originally posted by jonipop View Post
                  HOW DO THEY REPAIR something like that?
                  seems like its just involves a repaint job.
                  Sam

Comment

Some glue, some paint and the skill use them properly.
                    The last part is the hard part to find. A skilled luthier and painter is hard to find.

Sucks Sully... hopefully you'll find the right person to fix it.
                    -Rick

Comment

yep. between the two, the gluing is the easier part to take care of.

i found a roberto-venn grad nearby, and he's got a paint shop that he works with. i met with both of them and both were highly confident that they can fix it. the luthier's name is roger crisler, and i guess he's a big fan of the lp forum; we talked about that for a little bit.

more details as they happen.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, did you find them from Charlie's? Just curious. I knew that some famous players frequented Charlie's, so that's why I suggested them. When I was in there several times during the 80's, it was pretty impressive with the types of instruments and clientle that visited Charlie's.

Sounds like you are getting there. Keep us informed.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

charley's was the first place i went today; they could certainly have handled the break, but they're not set up to shoot paint besides a little lacquer here and there. they gave me a referral, and i left a message for him.

i then reached out to andy_cain on the usac board (he posts here sometimes too), and since he's close to me, i asked him if he knew anyone, and he gave me a referral near me, and i left a message for him as well.

in further searching, i found this roger crisler guy, also not far from me, so i went out to his place and i think i posted about that.

i'm glad that there's so many places near me that i was unaware of. very cool.

that's about where we are right now.
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Great to hear you have located a repair guy. From the looks of the break, they may just use glue injections using a hyperdermic. I don't believe cutting in reinforcement splints will be needed. Looks like a glue and clamp job. Then a finish repair. Best of luck! In the end you will have located some new resources in your area for future projects! Hopefully none of them will be broken or cracked headstocks.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Sucks total ass that it broke dude

But now at least it's got another story to tell now, boring guitars suck and this one has everything going for it
                              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Yeah I'm thinking they could shoot the glue in with the needle and clamp it...that's definitely the easy part....blending the paint with be a decent job...depending on how much the white has aged.
                                RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                                RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
                                X