No announcement yet.

the return of my old LTD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, someone please school me. How in the hell does a guitar get broken like that in a case? (either the LTD or the Tele) Something just strikes me as really wrong about that. Seems like something must have been wrong with the guitar to begin with (like cracks in the existing wood or something when it was built) Just seems funny that you ban slam a guitar around (and I have seen many get the hell beating out of the net and head stock) and they never break but a guitar in a padded fitted case gets that much damage.. something is really f'n wrong with this picture.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
      Ok, someone please school me. How in the hell does a guitar get broken like that in a case? (either the LTD or the Tele) Something just strikes me as really wrong about that. Seems like something must have been wrong with the guitar to begin with (like cracks in the existing wood or something when it was built) Just seems funny that you ban slam a guitar around (and I have seen many get the hell beating out of the net and head stock) and they never break but a guitar in a padded fitted case gets that much damage.. something is really f'n wrong with this picture.
      A headstock hit in just the right spot will break every time. With minimal force. I've seen it happen. Shipping with the strings tuned to pitch will help it break much easier. Don't know if thats the deal here. But even de-tuned guitars arrive with this kinda damage...

The deal is people who work at these shipping places. They have no regard for anything. They throw and stuff and cram and drop everything. It's gonna happen sooner or later with these idiots doing the sorting and packing...
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

A guitar could get broken like that if the box is laying flat and a 200lb shipping guy decides to step on the box right at the area right above the nut.

Guitar cases are pretty strong around the perimeter, but are more flexible in the center. I have many of my guitars stacked horizontally on top of each other as I know the weight is supported by the perimeter, but never in my life would I ever think I could get away with stepping on the middle of most of my cases.

Comment

Those are so fucking beautiful. Tis a shame that battle scar is there.
          I would so snatch that up it if were 24 frets

I'm out like Axl Rose just before a GNR concert

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
            A headstock hit in just the right spot will break every time. With minimal force. I've seen it happen. Shipping with the strings tuned to pitch will help it break much easier. Don't know if thats the deal here. But even de-tuned guitars arrive with this kinda damage...

The deal is people who work at these shipping places. They have no regard for anything. They throw and stuff and cram and drop everything. It's gonna happen sooner or later with these idiots doing the sorting and packing...
            That just makes me sick to hear. It also worries me since I have something being shipped from over seas. Plus I own an LTD so this just about made me cry when I saw it. Someone at the shipping place needs an ass kicking.
            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

That just makes me sick to hear. It also worries me since I have something being shipped from over seas. Plus I own an LTD so this just about made me cry when I saw it. Someone at the shipping place needs an ass kicking.

When I was in my guitar trading phase I probably shipped over 200 guitars in a short time. I never had that problem. Not once. So while it does happen, it's not very common. Sucks when it happens but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

First of all Fed ex and UPS should mergre and be called FED-UP, and secondly, when there is a fragile sticker on the box, that reads to the average worker at these places as (in the huddle)"o.k. billy, go long and run a post pattern taking the the other safety along with you and I'll hit Johnny
                with a long bomb for the touchdown. It's a damn zoo is what it is.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Ok, someone please school me. How in the hell does a guitar get broken like that in a case? (either the LTD or the Tele) with this
                  One common way - if you have a guitar in the case standing up (with the headstock pointing to the ceiling) and let it fall down (or throw it in the brown truck, drop off a conveyor, etc.) the back/tip of the headstock can hit the bottom of the case with a lot of force. It flexes and the neck can crack or break at the weakest point.

That is why you shoudn't put bubble wrap around the headstock, ever, on a guitar with a tilt-back headstock. You don't want anything to come in contact with the headstock. Ideally it will be elevated within the case so if the case falls the main part of the neck and body will absorb the impact.

Comment

look who's back!

it's not perfect; i can see part of the break seam, which i kinda expected. there's an area on the back where the paint sunk a little, but it's fine. i certainly don't plan on selling it again, so i'm fine with it. my son filmed the assembly the other night, which you can see here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=stehQCPXFyk

anyway, good times!

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Pretty guitar, glad you got it worked out. I often have thought about using EMS for purchases from Japan, I'll have to reconsider a purchase from overseas now.

Comment

I'm watching it at the moment. It's awesome, man I like your son's comments
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Jon, glad it is back in shape. What a cool guitar!
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Cool vid. Good times, indeed!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cool, it looks good and I'm sure it sounds great! Was insurance able to pick up any of it?
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Oh man,,,,

that stinks...My condolences. The must have twisted the case pretty hard to do that...that's crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X