Flame maple top on my DK-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flame maple top on my DK-1

I was looking closely at the my trans red Dk-1 and I was checking the wood seams and the top.

I notices that the flame maple top doesnt show on the edge of the guitar which would indicate a thin veneer or....?

I would expeckt at least a 1/16 thick edge of maple showing on the edges. How does Jackson do their tops?

I believe it's just a thin 1/8" veneer. If you want thicker, you'll have to go Custom Shop.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The 1/8" tops go to the edge... you will be able to see it from the side.
      Take the PC1 for example... it has a 1/8" top... you can definitely see it from the side.
      If it doesn't go to the edge, it's that paper thin shit... not even 1/16".
      More like 1/32"
      -Rick

Comment

They did really thin tops on US models?

Comment

Not that I'm aware of.
          Are you sure it's a USA body?
          -Rick

Comment

The jackson website only lists the mahogony bodied guitars that have a maple top as 1/8" like the phil collen and the sl2h-mah. I think the rest are veneer.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Not that I'm aware of.
              Are you sure it's a USA body?
              It came from a Jackson dealer and its a USA DK-1 so I would assume it all US

Comment

well, there is of course also the PCS (all) maple Dinky series

Comment

If this wouldn't be the Jackson forum I wouldn't be surprised about some of these repiles

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  The jackson website only lists the mahogony bodied guitars that have a maple top as 1/8" like the phil collen and the sl2h-mah. I think the rest are veneer.
                  EXACTLY!

Comment

Originally posted by pebber View Post
                    well, there is of course also the PCS (all) maple Dinky series
                    True... I forgot about those.
                    Also, the current DK1 with trans finishes is an Alder body with a Maple top.
                    The spec sheet doesn't state how thick it is though.
                    It could be a paper thin veneer. That would also explain why you don't see the edge.
                    -Rick

Comment

...It still plays great and sounds great, so Im happy with it.

I have my Hamer guitars for boutique appeal, the DK-1 is a player.

Comment

Just wondering, does a top/veneer really make much diff. in the sound?
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                          Just wondering, does a top/veneer really make much diff. in the sound?
                          Depending on the thickness... yes, it can make a big difference.
                          I've played all Mahogany bodied guitars and Mahogany bodied guitars with 1/8 maple cap with the same pickups and the guitar with the Maple cap is much brighter.
                          -Rick

Comment

Post some pictures of you guitar...

Comment

Yeah maple thickness can make a HUGE difference. I have a custom shop guitar. It is an archtop with a mahogany body and 3/8" maple top.
                              The thing sounds better than my PC1 - more articulate, more focused, more sustain and cuts through the mix like butter.
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X