Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about the stock pups on USA Jacksons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the stock pups on USA Jacksons...

Tell me about these two pickups. (tone-wise) How do they differ from the EMG 81/85 combo which I have now?

Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 (bridge)

Seymour Duncan® Jazz™ SH2N (neck)

Thanks!
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Another subjective pup question. I have 2 RR1's, one with the EMG combo you have, and one with the Pup's you mentioned. The SD's are "warmer" sounding with increased bass response. The EMG's are more articulate and have a higher end and less bass response. But this can be rectified by EQ. The SD's cut through however, and are fine sounding in the alder bodied RR1. They are both unique (EMG and the SD combo) in the tone department. I like both combinations. So, now you need one combo of each or you won't be able to live with yourself
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. How are the mids on the EMGs and SDs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
        Thanks for the reply. How are the mids on the EMGs and SDs?
        The mids are fine on the SD's with plenty of clarity on their own. The EMG's since they are active are more or less fine tuned using a little EQ. My best description of the EMG's is they can be related to someone who paints. The EMG's are a blank canvas that can be colored by using external effects to what is desired. The SD combo has a "pre-made" character all on their own. I like to use the Jazz and the TB-4 on at the same time to get a really tonal character. These two SD's work well together IMO.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The JB is probably one of the most overrated pickups ever. It does get good 80's thrash tone, artificial harmonics aren't great, a little too bassy and muddy for technical death. Good for slower playing, IMO... Also a nice pickup direct into a tube amp. I do prefer the 85 in the bridge, as it's a bit more gritty, growling and warm, while not being so booming as a JB with a better EQ band, IMO...

The 81 is a relatively flat EQ'd pickup, a great pickup for signal processing. Not so great for plugging direct, IMO. Decent crunch, but no real depth, at least not like the 85 or the JB. Relatively clean and articulate though.

The EMG's in 18v configuration absolutely smoke. Slightly higher output, more headroom, more dynamic sounding.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            The JB is probably one of the most overrated pickups ever. It does get good 80's thrash tone, artificial harmonics aren't great, a little too bassy and muddy for technical death. Good for slower playing, IMO... Also a nice pickup direct into a tube amp. I do prefer the 85 in the bridge, as it's a bit more gritty, growling and warm, while not being so booming as a JB with a better EQ band, IMO...

The 81 is a relatively flat EQ'd pickup, a great pickup for signal processing. Not so great for plugging direct, IMO. Decent crunch, but no real depth, at least not like the 85 or the JB. Relatively clean and articulate though.

The EMG's in 18v configuration absolutely smoke. Slightly higher output, more headroom, more dynamic sounding.
            I dont mean to hijack the thread, but whare can I find more info on the 18v setup? Can you convert from 9v to 18v easily?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 69dodgecharger View Post
              I dont mean to hijack the thread, but whare can I find more info on the 18v setup? Can you convert from 9v to 18v easily?
              Thanks

It's easy I did it. Search google for "Upgrading EMG to 18v".

Comment

Are the SDs muddy when compared to the EMGs? Are the EMGs tighter?

Comment

I personally did not care for the JB in alder when I had a KV2, as it seemed harsh and thin on the high end and a bit muddy on the low end. I've had better results with the JB in basswood, as the wood's natural tone seems to reduce the harsh highs. In alder, I like the Full Shred much more than the JB. Still a bit treble-heavy, but much tighter on the low end.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                    It's easy I did it. Search google for "Upgrading EMG to 18v".
                    cool thanks

Comment

I have an 87 Kramer baretta II (this is the larger dinky style).The JB in this guitar is the shit why I don't know maybe age has mellowed it.The original pot measured 476k and was in bad condition so out it came and an RS/CTS 271k super pot went in.The JB came alive with mids and clean low end.The highs were tamed with the lower value pot and now it has clarity and punch not a speck of muddiness.When you drive it it has all the 80s sweetness.When you scoop the EQ it gets tight enough to thrash maybe not as tight as an EMG 85 or 60 but pretty impressive.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                        I personally did not care for the JB in alder when I had a KV2, as it seemed harsh and thin on the high end and a bit muddy on the low end.
                        In my Soloist it had nice midrange, but the muddy bass and kinda dead flat high end made it pretty undesirable to me. It was pretty good at dokken-esque type riffing. lol. Like I'm into that or anything.

Comment

I have played tons of guitars with the JB in the bridge and can say, I only liked it in 1 guitar. The one I shouldn`t have sold, a Jackson Marty Friedman in trans black The JB is kinda lifeless to me. The EMG 81 can be good or bad depending on the guitar it is in, amp and EQ. I love the EMG 85, more power than the 81 and has great low/mids. I think the 85 gives a little in the highs department to the 81, but not a ton. Jack.

Comment

The JB is a great pickup in some guitars but I agree that it is probably overrated. However I don't think EMGs are he answer. The 85 is a good pick that does have a warmer tone than the 81 and the 81 sounds like an ice pick on steel to me. If you're looking for a punchy warmer tone I would say the distortion is a great solution for that. I have it in all of my guitars and love it. I have a KV2 coming soon that I will leave the JBs in to give them one more go but will probably switch it out for a Distortion or Custom. The Custom is another great pickup with better bass response and tighter bottom end than the JB but isn't quite as agressive as the Distortion however.

FWIW the jazz and JB combo is what Mustaine used until he got his signature Live Wires.

Comment

If you don't like the EMG 81, you wouldn't like the Live Wires. They sound completely artificial, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X