PC1 pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 pickup question

I have a new PC1 and I am a little underwhelmed about the bridge pickup. What do you guys suggest as a great replacement. I am playing mostly metal but will be using this guitar to record different types of music also.

Thanks for any help!

Actually, I was considering posting a similar thread, so I'll be interested to see what people say!

Does anyone else find that the neck pickup is really weak, or is there something I can adjust to get it sounding more even with the other pickups?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

i have 2 PC-1s. i took the super 3 out of both. one has a dimarzio PAF pro and the other has an EMG 85 in the bridge. i LOVE the dimarzio. HATE the EMG. i am going to put a PAF pro in my EMG-PC-1 asap.

i also had a custom-custom in there for awhile. i like that pickup a lot, but not in the PC-1. i had a JB in there for a while too....YUCK!!! it sucked.

i prefer the PAF pro.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I think the Super 3 sounds great, but that's the tone I was looking for in a guitar. That being said, there are a ton of options out there.
        What kind of tone/sound are you looking for?
        Saying "Metal" is pointless as there are many different types of Metal.

When considering a pickup for a PC1, you are dealing with a Mahogany body with a Maple cap... think Les Paul but a tad brighter.

EMG's would be out unless you plan on ditching the sustainer or are willing to carve another battery box hole into it.
        There isn't a ton of room in the electronics cavity for another battery.
        -Rick

Comment

For me, I just want something with more bite. The current pickup sounds like it needs to 'clear its throat', like the sound is stiffled somewhat...

Has anyone got a pic of a zebra pickup in a PC1?

Comment

zebra coil PAF pro in my euphoria PC-1!!
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Cool!

Comment

I love the Super3, too. But if you're looking for something with more punch, maybe try an Evolution. They're very hot.

Neilli, short of ripping out the sustainer, you're stuck with the neck pickup. Maybe try adjusting the height up a little? Some PUs are very sensitive to height adjustments.

...Actually, on a semi-related front, it's too bad they don't make a non-sustainer version of the PC1. (...No, I don't mean the old PC2 version.) Same specs, but standard HSS. And maybe a different fretboard wood. I'd buy another.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  What kind of tone/sound are you looking for?
                  Saying "Metal" is pointless as there are many different types of Metal.

When considering a pickup for a PC1, you are dealing with a Mahogany body with a Maple cap... think Les Paul but a tad brighter.
                  I guess I should have been a bit clearer. By metal, I guess I mean more along the lines of Dimebag's scooped sound.
                  Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Why not just throw a Dimebucker in there and give it a whirl?
                    A Super Distortion should sound good with the wood combo as well.
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      Why not just throw a Dimebucker in there and give it a whirl?
                      A Super Distortion should sound good with the wood combo as well.
                      I have a Dimebucker in my RR1 so I may give it a try. I have been looking at the Super Distortions, too. This is the first guit I have bought with Dimarzios so I am in new waters with these things. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Just remember the color coding on the wiring for DiMarzio's is different than Seymour Duncan's.

Go here for wire color codes.
                        Anderson, Bare Knuckle, Bartolini, Benedetto, Bill Lawrence, Caparison, Carvin, DiMarzio, Dunca Designed, EMG-HZ, Fender, Fralin, GFS, Gibson, Golden Age, Gotoh, Ibanez, Iron Gear, Joe Barden, Jackson, Kent Armstrong, Lace, Lollar, Lundgren, Nordstrand, Paul Reed Smith, Peavey, Railhammer, Rio Grande, Rockfield, Seymour Duncan, Shadow, Sheptone, Suhr, Swineshead, TDM, Tone Rider, TV-Jones WCR and more.
                        Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM.
                        -Rick

Comment

What about the X2N? Are they worth a damn?

Comment

The X2N, Super Distortion and Tone Zone are all great pickups!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

In my book the Super Distortion and the Super3 are somwhat similar. Both rather dark pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X