Info on Rhoads USA Bolt ons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Rhoads USA Bolt ons?

I picked up a Rhoads bolt on a while back that has a USA neck and bad refinish in semi-walnut looking stain with Elmer's glue-looking lacquer job....I thought it was a Japanese body that someone bolted a USA neck on but I've heard about a few USA made bolt ons being made that I was previously unaware of here on the JCF and I thought I should try and see just what it is I might have here- or what I DON'T have possibly-
    Clues:
    USA neck with ebony fretboard and no inlays- side dots only. Wood/oiled back. Neck plate was a plain chrome plate, so probably not original. (I installed a custom engraved Randy Rhoads tribute neck plate from guitarheads.net)
    Inspected body cavities and it appears it was originally like a metallic cobalt blue or something like that....Jack plate is in the rear surface of the upper wing- rear routed with one volume and one 3 way switch. Two humbucker routs....Low profile Jackson Floyd Rose with full routing in body top....neck is mounted at a slight angle to the body. Strap button is mounted to one of the neck bolts rather than individually on the body, with no apparent hole filled from relocation.
    Need any other info just let me know! I haven't taken time to figure out the photo bucket thing yet- pics on myspace for those who are signed up:
    Mr. Lizardman (mr_lizardman)'s profile on Myspace, the place where people come to connect, discover, and share.

What do you think, Oh Great Info Gurus?? I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!
    Last edited by Mr.Lizardman; 04-26-2007, 11:18 PM.

I don't know much about them, but it sounds like an RR2. They, along with the SL2 & DR2, were part of a series of US Jackson with similar specs - ebony boards with no inlays, Kent Armstrong pickups, licensed Floyds.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I saw the picture, I'm %99 sure that's an RR2 the control layout is the same, so is the neck The bridge looks like a jt580 which it should be Cool guitars, I love blank ebony boards..
      Check my bands!
      www.myspace.com/magicktr
      www.myspace.com/sinif64
      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

RR2 for sure
        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Seems they're a little uncommon- too bad it was badly refinished and the neck plate is gone....Yup-= it's the jt580. I just couldn't remember the name when I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Lizardman View Post
            Seems they're a little uncommon- too bad it was badly refinished and the neck plate is gone....Yup-= it's the jt580. I just couldn't remember the name when I posted.
            I don't find that finish bad looking. But can't judge from that picture if it has been done professionally or not. I don't like that blueish color these used to come with.. And you can always have it refinished
            Check my bands!
            www.myspace.com/magicktr
            www.myspace.com/sinif64
            www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I bought an RR2 new/NOS from Guitar Center a few years back, with the blue finish. I also saw numerous RR2s being sold at Music Go Round stores in the Minneapolis area in the late `90s, with blank neck plates. Supposedly they were acquired from a Jackson dealer that went out of business.

The RR2 was a great guitar, but around that time, I established that "pointy" designs just don't work well for me. Same with the King V, and even something as basic as an Explorer-inspired Hamer Standard.
              sigpic

Comment

Only production USA Rhoads w/ a bolt on neck ever was the RR-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                  Only production USA Rhoads w/ a bolt on neck ever was the RR-2.
                  I was getting that idea....Interesting....
                  By the way, it's NOT FOR SALE- but what range would we be thinking value-wise? It seemed like a decent player guitar for the $400 I paid....I figured I could almost get that from just the parts if I HAD to. I've even considered turning it into a project guitar, but I'm thinking more like refinish it decently now. I had the idea of putting Australian fire opal triplet fretboard inlays, but that might be the wrong thing to do if it has any possible collectible value- Even thought about a mahogany body for it!
                  Last edited by Mr.Lizardman; 04-30-2007, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X