1987 Jackson strat pics and weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Jackson strat pics and weirdness

Here are a few pics of the 1987 Jackson strat I just got. I think the fingerboard is pau ferro, what do you guys think?

I like it ok, but the electronics are screwed up. It was running two 9V batteries, so I replaced them both and looked on the board for any trim pots. It sounds like the world's cheapest fuzztone, and the volume drops out completely when you go below about 80% on the volume. I'm not happy about that.

Other thing I don't like is that the trem cavity is cut so far back that the trem is blocked from pull ups! I can get about 2 frets and then it hits that inside cavity. We'll see how I deal with that, I can't imagine filing or cutting the body down so I can do pullups.

Pete

Hot damn that is nice looking! I would totally hit that! Too bad about the trem and electronics problems. Maybe a new set of pots and wiring are in order? Either way nice score man!

Comment

Boy thats in amazing condition! Love the blue color...very different looking. I'll bet in 3 months you will have this one Roaring!

Comment

Hard to say on the fingerboard fromthe pics it looks too light to be rosewood tho'.Just run 9v and see what it sounds like or trash the harness and go the other way.I was watching that one too.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hmmm. Hard to say for sure on the fretboard. Could be either. I'm thinking it's rosewood, though, as the grain looks a little more open than most pau ferros that I've seen. Also, I don't think I've ever seen pau ferro on a guitar from the JT6 era.

Cool guitar either way, though.

Comment

looks like rosewood to me.. nice guitar

Comment

In the pic the fingerboard is a little darker than in 'real life' - I'm bad at lightening pics in photoshop, I always end up tinting it worse one way or the other. Not sure what the fingerboard is, it actually feels like ebony which is weird. And I have seen Jacksons from this era with even lighter fingerboards, but not sure if that's PF or not.

Either way it's a neat guitar. Electronics are pissing me off though.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                Electronics are pissing me off though.

Pete
                How comes?

Comment

this
                  Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                  I like it ok, but the electronics are screwed up. It was running two 9V batteries, so I replaced them both and looked on the board for any trim pots. It sounds like the world's cheapest fuzztone, and the volume drops out completely when you go below about 80% on the volume. I'm not happy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                    this
                    Oops. I didnt see that.

Comment

I'm going to drown the pot with contact cleaner, we'll see how that goes. if I don't get any love from that, then I'm yanking the active electronics and replacing the pots and at least the bridge pickup.

Comment

I've seen several other '87 era Jackson USA guitars with really light rosewood boards. So I'd guess it's rosewood. Sure looks like it from the closeup pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          I've seen several other '87 era Jackson USA guitars with really light rosewood boards. So I'd guess it's rosewood. Sure looks like it from the closeup pic.
                          +1
                          Also the fretboard looks exactly like the one on my '87 Jackson strat and mine definately has a rosewood fretboard. Typically the body will be poplar.

Comment

That is one cool axe. Congrats.

Comment

It's brazilian rosewood, not Indian... That's why it looks like that, lighter and streaky...
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X