Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of importing a KV2 to the UK from USA...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neilli View Post
    I've had many guitars shipped to me in the UK (from Matt and elsewhere), and I've also brought 2 or 3 in with me from holiday. Some points to remember are:

1: Remember that customs can impound your guitar.
    2: Customs have a reference list of items with prices - if they're suspicious, they will check, and they will find out that your USA Jackson didn't only cost 150 quid.
    3: If you go for a lower value receipt, make it sensible, and DON'T have any incriminating papers on you. Sounds obvious, but one time they went through my wallet and found a receipt for a camera we'd bought on that trip as well.
    4: If you go for the "I took it with me" approach, I believe it can fall to you to prove you actually did take it with you, and that you had the guitar in the UK. Then, see point 1!
    has that ever happened to you when bringing them in?
    how would a travelling musician get away with bringing guitars back from america? if you claim use the same method and alibi then it should be ok shouldn't it?

Comment

1: No
      2: Yes. On an ESP Mirage Custom. Fortunately ESP weren't in the list (back in 1998) but he made a note to get the information.
      3: Yes
      4: Never tried it.

I assume a travelling musician would be able to prove he already owned the guitars back in the UK and had therefore already paid tax on them. Also, the airline would probably have records of luggage taken, and guitars in a case would class as oversize (at least with BA).
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        1: No
        2: Yes. On an ESP Mirage Custom. Fortunately ESP weren't in the list (back in 1998) but he made a note to get the information.
        3: Yes
        4: Never tried it.

I assume a travelling musician would be able to prove he already owned the guitars back in the UK and had therefore already paid tax on them. Also, the airline would probably have records of luggage taken, and guitars in a case would class as oversize (at least with BA).
        I have a plan!
        I get the invoice for my friends/some random person's jackson and photocopy it
        hey presto! I have proof
        sure it won't be that simple
        i'm gonna try and go with the travelling musician plan if possible though, seems like the best bet

I could say i had it mailed over to the US for some modification and just gone to collect it

In response to JACKSONWOLF
        music ground in leeds quoted me that but i can't stand that shop

Comment

Originally posted by sam69 View Post
          has that ever happened to you when bringing them in?
          how would a travelling musician get away with bringing guitars back from america? if you claim use the same method and alibi then it should be ok shouldn't it?
          I think they have to get temporary export licenses for their gear.
          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONWOLF View Post
            Who is quoting £1900 for a Solid Finish? The RRP is only about £1699....... Discounts are available to soften the blow a little!!
            You can get a KV2 in a plain colour from Thomann in Germany (inc. VAT and shipping) for 1309 GBP. Black Ghost Flames will set you back 1556 GBP. No where near as good as the 'States, but much better than what you've been quoted and tax-wise it's all above board. I've bought gear from them and the service was great.

Incidentally, mail order companies within the EU have to pay VAT at the destintation country's rate, which is why Thomann prices differ from country to country.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONWOLF View Post
              Hi Sam,

Who is quoting £1900 for a Solid Finish? The RRP is only about £1699....... Discounts are available to soften the blow a little!! Even so, at the moment it is impossible for us UK dealers to compete with the US. I wish that we could buy them in for £950, let alone retail them at that!!! Just remember though that if you have any problems, Fender UK will not honour any warranty issues, you will have to return it to the States.

Cheers
              Steve
              I was quoted for £1700 a black one in Dawsons in Manchester and they let me play it. In Musicground I was quoted over £2000 and a very long wait, which made me laugh out loud at them. I had a feeling they were taking the piss when they gave me that price, so I doubt very much they'll ever get any of my money now I know what the RRP is. They had some nice stuff there in Musicground but I also got the feeling they were talking down to me. I supposed that will teach me to go there in my lunch hour dressed in a suit. Oh well...
              Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                Incidentally, if you don't *need* the Jackson logo, you could probably get Ran Guitars to build a KV for you. As they're based within the EU (Germany), there's import duty or VAT (well, apart from what's paid in Germany).
                Not that I think this will in any way effect the overall intention of your post, but unless something has changed recently, I believe Ran is based in Poland, not Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by sam69 View Post
                  Is he on this forum?
                  yes, his name is matt, his SN is mattsmusiccenter, but after reading this thread i dont think............... never mind, good luck
                  "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahrimanius View Post
                    Not that I think this will in any way effect the overall intention of your post, but unless something has changed recently, I believe Ran is based in Poland, not Germany.
                    Yes..Ran is from Poland. I have Ran KV Custom (Black with white bevels, one pickup, Jackson speedneck profile, TOM Bridge)...great action and quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                      Yes..Ran is from Poland. I have Ran KV Custom (Black with white bevels, one pickup, Jackson speedneck profile, TOM Bridge)...great action and quality.
                      what are the prices like compared to jacksons?
                      and how do they play compared to the KV2?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                        Yeah, sorry, my bad: Poland, not Germany. I was thinking about Framus while I was typing about Ran.

Sam69, Ben_D has a thread on his Ran KV without good pics etc.:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68696

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                          Yeah, sorry, my bad: Poland, not Germany. I was thinking about Framus while I was typing about Ran.

Sam69, Ben_D has a thread on his Ran KV without good pics etc.:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68696
                          thanks
                          seriously considering RAN guitars now
                          why pay 1100-1600 for a basic jackson when you can get exactly what you want for (what i was quoted this morning) 1240?

I was thinking a Metallic Gold KV with black bevels and black hardware
                          EMGs, a floyrose, ebony fingerboard
                          sounds the sex
                          what ya think?

Comment

Working...
                          X