Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Guitar Thread (Post Your Soloist!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Guitar Thread (Post Your Soloist!)

Lots of board members seem to put up their guitars so I'll follow suit and post mine. It looks like candy. It's an '88. Does anyone know if Jackson did any factory scallop jobs. I'm assuming this is a custom order since it's not a production color, so it doesn't seem too out of question. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and don't forget to post yours!

My precious:

You can't see it in the last pic, but underneath the springs for the bridge the serial number (why is the written SN different from the pressed one after the 24th fret? Written: 4536 Pressed: 4676) and "Sea Foam Green" are written in. The only damage on that thing is visible in the first few pics. It's a little white knick between the bridge and the end of the guitar. I played one and only one show with this (not that I don't want to, I just haven't been in a band in a while) and it got hit with a beer can while we were playing............yeesh!

Let's see 'em!

Whoa, what's with the scalloping on that?? It looks pretty crazy.

Comment

I think the number in the cavity is the work order number.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Judging from that pic I'd say the scallop is an aftermarket job. Could just be the perspective throwing me off though.

Very nice though, I love seafoam green.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I got this guitar in mint condition, literally. The story I was told from the person that I bought it from is that it was custom ordered by someone in Spain. For some reason they didn't get it once it was made and it sat in a shop in Spain up until about 6 years ago when that shop closed. When it closed the guitar shop I bought it from bought it from the shop in Spain. Then it sat in a shop in Algonquin, Illinois for the last 6 years, and eventually made its way to me NOS.

Kind of a crazy story. I would find it hard to believe I am the first owner of an '88 Soloist, but it really looked like it had never been touched when I bought it. Not even any fret wear.

I know you guys probably prefer more pointy-ness on your Jacksons, but somebody out there must have a Soloist to post.
          Last edited by nsubulysses; 05-18-2007, 06:12 PM.

Comment

So that's NOS?

It must be the perspective then, because that first scalloped looked seriously skewed.

Well all the better then, the thing looks awesome.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
              Judging from that pic I'd say the scallop is an aftermarket job.
              I'm sure it is.. cool finish tho

Comment

I think its somebody's "do-it-youself" mess-up. I find it hard to believe that someone would custom order a scalloped neck with regular shark-fin inlays knowing that the inlays are gonna get "smashed" in. Seems like someone has tried to scallop the neck AFTER the inlays were put in. Beautiful color BTW. Too bad cant enjoy the sharkies. Still rocks !!

EDIT: pebber and GoR already said it. lol
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                  I think its somebody's "do-it-youself" mess-up. I find it hard to believe that someone would custom order a scalloped neck with regular shark-fin inlays knowing that the inlays are gonna get "smashed" in. Seems like someone has tried to scallop the neck AFTER the inlays were put in. Beautiful color BTW. Too bad cant enjoy the sharkies. Still rocks !!

EDIT: pebber and GoR already said it. lol
                  Yeah, that's the lighting and the angle that makes the 12th fret look crazy in the pic. It looks that way because the camera is picking up the fin on top of the fret board, and also down in the scallop. The scallop is shaped normally, and looks normal in person.

As far as the scallops, emperor, no doubt the board was scalloped after the inlays were put in. Wouldn't that be the only way it could be? How would they scallop it before putting inlays in? Well, unless they just left the fins out from 12 to 24. I'm glad they didn't though because the fins look pretty normal from straight on. It's only on an angle like in the pics that they look mis-shapen because of the scallops.

If I contacted Jackson with the pics and the serial number would they still have info on the order? Then I could find out if the scallops are factory or not.

Thanks for the compliments!
                  Last edited by nsubulysses; 05-18-2007, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post

If I contacted Jackson with the pics and the serial number would they still have info on the order? Then I could find out if the scallops are factory or not.

Thanks for the compliments!
                    the best info on any Jackson is from this forum. period. the regular jumbo frets on a soloist already feel like heaven. With scalloped, I cant even begin to imagine how good it must feel. Enjoy the guitar.
                    Sam

Comment

Gorgeous guitar. Love the color, and it looks minty fresh. Too bad about the aftermarket scallop job.

Comment

Did that come from JC Guitars?

Comment

You know it. Got my Model 6 from him back in the day, too. And an SG now that I think about it. Those were from when he sold out of his parents' basement, though.

Comment

that scallop job looks pretty sweet, and that board, looks heavenly. slick black, very nice. very good eye candy my friend, very good.
                            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Nice color.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X