Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is so 'bad' about modern USA Jacksons??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-man View Post
    I think it's consistant quality more than anything.

+1 There have been some problems seemly with Jackson's and Charvel's lately 2006-current. I've had problems with Custom Shop and Production USA Select line Jackson's and other's have had quality inconsistancies. I would say it's a small percentage in the overall production, but there have been many instances as of late recorded here.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
      I've also heard that the newer Korean, and Chinese made mojo capacitors aren't as good as the old Japanese made ones. Of course you can always buy a mod kit to convert them to the original Japanese specs.
      Yeah but the old Soviet mojo capacitors are just the shit, you should really give 'em a try.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

A lot of it has to do with what matters to *you* in terms of quality. A lot of guitars out there have flaws - old, new, it doesn't matter. But do the flaws matter? In the end I think how much it matters is directly proportional to how much you pay and/or how long it took to get it.

For example, there was a recent run of PC-1's. I got one. Without giving the exact price let's just say it was over $2500. At that price, the fact that the electronics didn't work properly and that there were lock nut saddles flying around in the case *matters*. And it took like a year and a half for the guitars to arrive. If I'd have gotten for $999 at a GC sale I wouldn't have been pissed at all.

Some flaws matter no matter what the cost like a misaligned bridge.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Well, I don't know much about Jacksons specifically, I have one from 1985 and it is definitely a high end instrument but one must consider the pressure exerted upon US manufacturing (North American manufacturing) from Asia. Long gone are the days when Asian made is a negative. Japanese manufacturing pretty much perfected automotive production and they have pushed the limits of many musical instruments as well including guitars. That pressures North American manufacturers to cut corners somewhere and often hurry their processes a little.
          Now some might say that with the price of the Japan made vehicles and guitars (there is such a parallel here that I have to mention them together) that they are no longer competitive enough to have a significant impact (I guess when you look at a Japan Acura or a Japan ESP that is correct) but most quality building operations have established Korean operations which can really pump out the numbers and have a much lower price than the Japan or North American product and very high level of quality.
          The Korean Hyundai cars are really making a dent in the market and have been for the last 10 years as have the guitars from the Korean operations of ESP (LTD), G&L (Tribute line), Fender, and Ibanez. I'm sure that there are others as well.
          The whole thing boils down to this-years ago people would think that stuff made over there was crap. Quality has improved by leaps and bounds since then and now the people who say that are kidding themselves. Many people buy the Asian products because they get a good product for less money and that pressures the North American manufacturers to become more efficient. After they have become as efficient as they can get they can only cut corners to get more production. The ones who don't cut corners are going to charge you through the nose.
          My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

I have an 06 SL2H, and since I can't compare it to an 80's Jackson Soloist, all I can say is this...the thing plays like buttah! That's 'butter'.

As far as being 'perfect', yes, there's a few issues. For one, the strings are shifted to the treble side a hair due to the Floyd not being centered.

The volume and tone knobs don't feel as solid as my Ibanez Prestige.

The trem can't do extreme pullups because the routing under the trem keeps it from having a full range of motion like most other trems.

The pickups rings are plastic, and while that's the norm for me, on a USA you'd think you'd get metal...sure would look purty!

Other than the string center issue, this guitar RIPS. The tone is amazing, the feel is amazing, those Duncans are awesome. The fretwire is made of the slipperiest material on earth! And the original Floyd stays in tune, PERIOD.

So there you have it. I think I'd know what to look of in my next Jackson as far as mojo goes...

Think of it this way as well...some people just want older guitars because of their rarity....but try to let your ears guide you to what's 'good' and what isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
              I keep hearing that modern USA Jacksons are 'nothing compared to the '80s ones' and that the quality of the guitars is just getting worse. Me, saving up for a KE2, am curious as to what exactly is so bad about them and how their quality is declining.

Thanks
              In the 80's (and even early 90's) you could get a Jackson with a naked chick painted on it. Since "Bikini Beach" was discontinued, wanking on your guitar just hasn't been the same.

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
                In the 80's (and even early 90's) you could get a Jackson with a naked chick painted on it. Since "Bikini Beach" was discontinued, wanking on your guitar just hasn't been the same.
                Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

I used to have 2001 KV-2, 2002 RR-1T and 1988 Custom RR...all high quality...no problems. Custom RR non-recessed Floyd wasn't for me...the strings were always too high and in the "wrong" angle.
                  Last edited by Ben_D; 05-20-2007, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I've just brought an '05 USA JJ-2 and I can't fault it anywhere. Build quality, paint, finish and sound all top notch.

Comment

Out of my Jacksons, my favorites are the ones built in 2001 - 2002. They play so well, I rarely touch my San Dumbass ones anymore..........

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
                        Maybe it's me, but it seems like ALL guitars have gone downhill quality-wise since around '92.
                        I agree in general with this. Wood just isn't like it used to be. All the good wood is used up.

Play an 80s SG compared to a 90s or 2000s one -- the new ones feel like toys.
                        This is just a Gibson example, but it seems like this trend runs across the board guitar-wise with pretty much every brand.

I have a 2003 SG and it sucks. Are guitars even made with real wood anymore?
                        I disagree with this. I had a 1979 SG and a 1998 SG. Both were good, but I sold the 1979 SG because I doubled what I bought it for, and it had too many specs that weren't correct - harmonica bridge, 1 5/8" narrow neck, large headstock, small block MOP inlays on rosewood (should be MOTO trapazoids). My 1998 has an ABR-1 bridge (new ones have Nashville bridge). It might be a few pieces of wood (butcher block) but they are great pieces, I get a fantastic tone. The 1979 had a great tone too, but my 1998 is a keeper.

And I don't own any newer USA Jackson's, but I've played more than a few at guitar stores. Even with a setup I doubt they would be super hot. They just seem kind of......plasticy and cheap compared to 80s stuff. Not much attention paid to detail. I don't know if they're assembly line, but I've seen a few that have a very assembly line feel.

They are nice, nonetheless, but if I had an '88 Rhoads and a '02 (or a '95, for that matter) Rhoads in front of me, I'd take the '88 in a second.
                        My newest USA Jackson is a 1995 USA RR1, and it's great. I picked up a RR1T at GC and was surprised at how light it was, like balsa wood. Didn't get a chance to play it, so no comment on newer Jacksons. One thing I noticed also, the ebony used for fretboards looks crappier these days too. I notice Gibson's rosewood isn't so hot also, especially on Standards (LPs or SGs). I think good wood is gone.

Comment

True, alot of manufacturers are having issues.

Good wood is hard to find....let the jokes begin.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            Wood just isn't like it used to be. All the good wood is used up.
                            Yes. This is a major issue. The best wood is very difficult to acquire. The best wood is from a place that has winter and short growing seasons making the grain tighter together and thus more dense. Today most wood has to be harvested from tropical countries where trees grow really fast.
                            My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Alot people thing it's not true but it is.

I think that's why you see more multi piece necks these days.

Manufacturers claim it is a better construction method. Which make sense. Laminated pieces are not as prone to warping.

That being said, I have several single piece necks that are quite old and have no warpage issues.

Oh yeah, since when did glueing pieces of wood together become so technologically advanced that it has only become more common place in recent years?
                              sigpic

Comment

I've said this before....

I've looked at alot of USA soloist and this my list of thing to check...

Do the polepieces line up with the strings?

Do the strings line up on the fretboard? I've seen many with the strings shifted to the treble side.

Is the nut centered on the fretboard?

Is the trem centered in the route?

Are the inlays symmetrical and level?

Is the nut tight? (doesn't creek/move when using the trem)

Is the bridge fairly flush with the body with a factory spec of 1.5mm at the twelth fret on the treble and bass side?... I'd rather see it higher than too recessed.

Are the screws for the trem claw screwed in perpedicular to the mounting points?

I could think of more...but those are the common "problems" I've seen. YMMV.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X