New Arrival...Grape Lollipop Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Arrival...Grape Lollipop Anyone?

PC-1 in Purple Daze. I've been droooling over this finish for a while. But I've also seen too many PD's with cruddy washed-out colors and, lately, too many PC-1s with crummy quilt tops. So, because of that, I was reluctant to pre-order one blind, and have been trolling dealer web sites to find one with good dark colors and quilt. Mission accomplished.

This finish kicks @ss. Apologies for the cruddy indoor pics - it rained here all day. Much cooler in person, and the shades of color shift a lot in different light. Suprisingly, this one came with a quilted maple fretboard, not flamed. And really nicely figured, too, with 3D effect to it.

More details later, and I'll try to update with better outdoor pics tomorrow if the weather lets up.

Very nice. I bet that looks even better in person.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Nice grab, and yeah, I agree totally about some of the bursts that I've seen recently...
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Love the 'daze

Comment

Nice Congrats! I've been looking at picking up one of those as well. Then, I will have 4! My favorite Jackson it seems!

Hope your Sustainer works though and the battery box is not bulging out the back due to a shallow rout.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

congrats pat - that looks killer!
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

You must be feeling hysteriacal. Fuck that reminds me, Def Leppard tickets went on sale this week, I wonder if any are left.

Comment

Great guitar mate

Comment

Thanks, guys. Some more details...

When it arrived, the guitar was suffering from a case of "Dweezil-itis". The strings were all crusty, with a fair bit of crusty-gunk on the frets themselves, too. I spent about an hour cleaning the frets, restringing it, and re-doing the set-up. ...Which wasn't a big deal, as I would've had to do most of that anyway, when I switched the strings out to 9s. (PC-1s come with 10s as standard.) And it all cleaned up well. Nonetheless, it appears that Jackson still has that warehousing nonsense happening every once in a while.

This finish does some wild stuff with different lighting. Perhaps more so than other trans colors. Before buying, I asked the dealer for some better pics. The first one looked great, except it made the center of the burst look like it had a pinkish hue. I was like, "huh?" (It's not - just a lighter shade of purple.) So I asked for another pic. That one made the whole body's finish look like some of the nasty washed out "easter egg"-like PD's that I've seen. (Which it obviously ain't, either.) Suffice it to say, if you see any PDs, make sure you ask for more pics. It can be hard to photo well, and the pics might be very deceptive about how it actually looks.

Also on the color...the hangtag had the finish written as "PD2". Interesting. I wonder what Purple Daze version 1 was? I'm thinking it was a no-burst version, as pics of Phil's first and another prototype looked more like they didn't have a 'burst - just a uniform dark trans purple. Just an edumicated guess there, though.

The quilted fretboard was a suprise. They had pretty much switched out to flamed maple fretboards a few years ago. Maybe I just got lucky. The quilt on this one is very figured and very "3D"-ish, moving with the light. It's so prominent that, at first, I thought the fretboard was dirty, too. But it's just a very cool looking one.

The sustainer and all electronics work fine. Overall, a very cool and great playing guitar.

Comment

Awsome guitar, Super 3 is my favorite strat pup. Nice score man!
                      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

H O T
                        my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                          Thanks, guys. Some more details...

When it arrived, the guitar was suffering from a case of "Dweezil-itis". The strings were all crusty, with a fair bit of crusty-gunk on the frets themselves, too. I spent about an hour cleaning the frets, restringing it, and re-doing the set-up. ...Which wasn't a big deal, as I would've had to do most of that anyway, when I switched the strings out to 9s. (PC-1s come with 10s as standard.) And it all cleaned up well. Nonetheless, it appears that Jackson still has that warehousing nonsense happening every once in a while.

This finish does some wild stuff with different lighting. Perhaps more so than other trans colors. Before buying, I asked the dealer for some better pics. The first one looked great, except it made the center of the burst look like it had a pinkish hue. I was like, "huh?" (It's not - just a lighter shade of purple.) So I asked for another pic. That one made the whole body's finish look like some of the nasty washed out "easter egg"-like PD's that I've seen. (Which it obviously ain't, either.) Suffice it to say, if you see any PDs, make sure you ask for more pics. It can be hard to photo well, and the pics might be very deceptive about how it actually looks.

Also on the color...the hangtag had the finish written as "PD2". Interesting. I wonder what Purple Daze version 1 was? I'm thinking it was a no-burst version, as pics of Phil's first and another prototype looked more like they didn't have a 'burst - just a uniform dark trans purple. Just an edumicated guess there, though.

The quilted fretboard was a suprise. They had pretty much switched out to flamed maple fretboards a few years ago. Maybe I just got lucky. The quilt on this one is very figured and very "3D"-ish, moving with the light. It's so prominent that, at first, I thought the fretboard was dirty, too. But it's just a very cool looking one.

The sustainer and all electronics work fine. Overall, a very cool and great playing guitar.
                          Congrats, im actually Jealous! The other 3 "Purples" that i looked at,
                          seemed cartoonish to me, and way too "pink". You scored! On that
                          sharp metal edge on the sustainer pup...i used some of my 3M rubber
                          soft tape, cut it about 3/8" thick, and stretched it around this edge,
                          just covering the top sharp edge by about 4 mm. This stayed on great.
                          Now i just feel soft rubber, and dont get cut!~
                          Does not look out of place either. Your fretboard looks more like a looser
                          tiger striped pattern to me, rather than quilt? The few older quilt fretboards that ive seen were circular patterns and matched the quilt in
                          the body. Being about 3/8" of an inch in diameter? Your seem to be
                          just a bit "open". Obviously we need close up pics!! Great quilt man!
                          Like i said, im GREEEN!! I'll trade you my Black one (1 month old, pay
                          for shipping and throw in $100!~ Hello?... anyone there?

Comment

Finally got some sun. Outdoor pics added, but they're a little washed out.

RB, I've never had any trouble with the sustainer's edge at all. Must be a playing style thing. I tried to get better pics of the fretboard, but they just weren't coming out well. I've got both styles - trust me, it's quilt. But, then again, quilt and flame are pretty much the same thing - the difference is really just size and uniformity of the grain. Quilt is just bigger and wavier.

Comment

Very nice. I want to get one of those PC-1's one day.

Congratz!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X