No announcement yet.

SLATQH value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dammit, just my luck! ONE day after I win a bid on a SL2HT, this news crops up!! Hopefully yours does not have the additional holes drilled to replace the stock tuners with sperzels. Who would drill holes on such a magnificient work of art?
    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by 69dodgecharger View Post
      No, I havnt tried to get a lower price, I will see what they can do, but if they wont budge oh well, I'll still buy it.The way I see it, its $1,000 cheeper than the PRS that I am going to return to guitar center and its a better guitar and better looking. IMO
      + 1 on that ! I have a PC-1 thats "close" to your magnificent quilt...
      close, but no cigar! Thats stunning, and you should definately get it!
      Enjoy

Comment

well I closed the deal. She's being shiped out today. Got it for $1750 Shiped.

Comment

^ awesome !! You did ask if there were any "extra" holes drilled at the back of the headstock right? ...like the green one has
          Sam

Comment

yes there are holes on the back of the headstock, they are not extra though. They are from the foactory tuners, and those were replaced with locking tuners. I am just going to put some small black screws in the holes I think that will do just fine.

Comment

That brings up an intersesting subject wrt SLATQH's. I've seen complaints about tuning stability by other owners and special lengths that they go to trying to fix it. Here we have a couple with retrofitted locking tuners. Mine has never been a problem. The only reason I can think of that there would be a problem is that the nuts were cut wrong on the offending guitars. I wonder if we could see the serial numbers of all the problem guitars they could attributed to someone in particular making the same mistake over and over.

Comment

well hopfully I dont have tuning problems but if I do I will post about them.

Comment

if it was a nut problem that motivated the original owner, locking tuners won't help. Why are locking tuners ever needed in any case? I don't see what good they are. Anyway, nice guitar, hope you love yours as much as I do mine.

Comment

^ exactly. These have a hardtail bridge. No one's dive-bombing on these. My Dk2T stays in tune like crazy. the slatqh's tuners got to be at least as good as the dk2t's.

dodgecharger, you should try and see if you can put back the original tuners. I hope they did not have to drill additional holes for the sperzels.

You know, its kinda funny but the last slatqh that sold on eBay also had sperzels installed . it was violet brown or some other color. Maybe that IS an inherent problem with slatqh's and that's why it was discontinued?? Maybe some slatqh owners might care to respond?
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
                      if it was a nut problem that motivated the original owner, locking tuners won't help. Why are locking tuners ever needed in any case? I don't see what good they are. Anyway, nice guitar, hope you love yours as much as I do mine.
                      I never noticed any tuning stability problems with my SLATQH, but when I brought it to a tech. to have it set up, one of the things he did was file down the grooves in the nut a little (it's made of bone). I guess there could be some sticking issues, but that's readily resolved.

Tuning instability certainly wasn't the reason they were discountined Emp. Black, but you have the start of a seriously whacky internet-rumour there....

I expect they were discontinued for the obvious economic reasons: they were more expensive to make than an SL2T, yet they weren't getting the return when they sold them new.

Surely it's a lot more expensive to make an SLATQH instead of a SL2T: mahogany body and neck, a 3/4" carved quilt maple top (which I believe is done by hand), natural body binding and a beautiful stain? Madness that they're not worth more, but as you've mentioned EB, even second-hand they don't hold their value any better.

69dodgecharger, good luck with the guitar, I'm sure you'll love it. I think the black stain is rare, so I agree that it is worth grabbing it while you can. I've only seen a couple that had quilts that weren't to die for.

The only unfortunate thing (IMO) about the black stain (and TSB for that matter) is that the back is not see-through. On other finishes, the back is stained and you can see the neck running through the body.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                        Tuning instability certainly wasn't the reason they were discountined Emp. Black, but you have the start of a seriously whacky internet-rumour there....
                        :ROTF: sorry about that. But watching 3 guitars in a row whose tuners were swapped, got me into wild thinking.

I expect they were discontinued for the obvious economic reasons: they were more expensive to make than an SL2T, yet they weren't getting the return when they sold them new.
                        yup. that makes perfect sense. The slatqh it seems is now available only as a custom.

The only unfortunate thing (IMO) about the black stain (and TSB for that matter) is that the back is not see-through. On other finishes, the back is stained and you can see the neck running through the body.
                        wow! I think I know what you mean but we would love to see a pic of the neck running through the body.
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                          :ROTF: sorry about that. But watching 3 guitars in a row whose tuners were swapped, got me into wild thinking.
                          It was quite an adventurous, inventive suggestion! Thinking outside the box and all that. I commend you!

The slatqh it seems is now available only as a custom.
                          I believe you're right. When I bought mine early last year, I was talking to a jackson rep. who was saying just that. Maybe if they had 24 frets and a floyd they'd have sold better?

wow! I think I know what you mean but we would love to see a pic of the neck running through the body.
                          I'll have to owe you a decent picture, but there's a not-so-decent one in this thread! The thread comes with a health warning that if you like natural-finish slatqhs, you may die when you get to page 2:

Comment

The green p-90 slat in that thread is so rediculously awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            X