Neck on my Jackson DK-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck on my Jackson DK-1

I may be able to purchase a new guitar in the next few weeks. My wife has given me permission.

I love the neck on my DK-1. Can I expect the same on other Jackson models? I noticed in some SL-1 pics that the neck is painted. I really do not like that. I like smoothness of mine.

I am wanting to stick with USA Jacksons.

Thanks.

Out of the USA Models I think only the DK1 and PC1 are unfinished. The PC1 is a damn fine guitar but the profile is different from a DK1. You may want to look at a Charvel.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

So Charvel uses the same style neck ? Pictures are hard to compare.

Comment

They are very similar. The back profile is different and the Charvel will be 22 frets.

Comment

Yeah, the DK-1's neck is very similar to the new Charvels. You'd probably like them. The PC-1 is oiled too, but has a thicker, rounder backshape profile to the neck.

But just because it's different, doesn't mean you won't like it - I love them both. Don't be afraid of variety, it can be cool to have different feeling/sounding stuff. I'd say check out a PC-1, as it'd have some cool differences from your current DK-1: HH vs. HSS (inc sustainer), ebony vs. maple fretboards, pointyhead vs. strathead, etc. You'd probably have better luck finding a good PC-1 rather than a Charvel, too. Also a little cheaper.
          Last edited by shreddermon; 05-27-2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

My DK1 doesn't feel like a Charvel pointy - it might be the same shape, but the DK1 neck feels noticably thinner...
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              My DK1 doesn't feel like a Charvel pointy - it might be the same shape, but the DK1 neck feels noticably thinner...
              Probably because it is. No one said they were the same, just similar.

Comment

OK - let me put it like this: I really like the Charvel pointy profile, but don't like the DK1 neck at all...

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  The newer Charvel pointies have necks closer to the "Speed Neck" profile of the KV2... slim, but not too slim. And the DK1 neck is thinner, while a Soloist neck is thicker.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My old DK-1 - which was the guitar pictured in the 2002 catalog - was nearly identical to my Charvel pointies. The "official spec" measurements I heard were the same, and I even measured it vs. my orange pointy. Again, the same. The Charvels do seem to have a slightly more wide/flat "D" profile shape. Very close, though.

Neilli - maybe you were speaking about a mid-90s HSS DK-1? Maybe those necks are different than the current HH models?

Comment

Pat: I did use to have an earlier h/s/s DK1, but my DK1 I was referring to is (if I recall correctly) a 2003 and it has a fairly thin, 'square' neck profile (flat D).

The Charvel pointies I've played have been notably thicker and while still a D type feel, the shoulders have felt more rounded....

Comment

Originally posted by dk1ben View Post
                        I noticed in some SL-1 pics that the neck is painted. I really do not like that. I like smoothness of mine.
                        I used to think like that earlier. But the painted Jackson necks are different from other brands' painted necks. On a dean hardtail, it used to stick but on both my painted neck Jacksons, it doesnt stick as much. There are some neck-thru soloists that crop up now and then on ebay who have unpainted necks. Those would rock!!
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                          There are some neck-thru soloists that crop up now and then on ebay who have unpainted necks. Those would rock!!
                          Are these unpainted Soloists some ltd edition or? Do you have more info on them? I also love the DK-1 neck, but could consider a soloist if the neck was unpainted...

Comment

Working...
                          X