My soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My soloist

Soooo, long time no post on this board, I'll just walk in like I'm a regular.........

I play a SL2H, well, today my Ibanez rg550 20th anniversary arrived and it's given me a new perspective on the Jackson.

The tone of the Ibanez is more refined and articulate, there are more harmonic overtones.

The Jackson is sludgier, heavier sounding, more of a hollow sound (probably due to the neck through) and darker.

It has made me realize that the buzzing on my Jackson is innordinate and I need to get the frets dressed. That always bugged me from the moment I got it but I reasoned since I can't hear it through the amp it doesn't matter. But the RG550 doesn't have it and the action's about the same, and now I'm just annoyed because I can feel the buzz and hear it if I'm playing low enough. The Jackson's got the Ibanez beat for heavier metal, and the fret access is far far better in the upper registers.

As well as a set up I'm going to have to see what happens if I change the Duncans out for DiMarzios - I hope that's it, and it's not the wood/maple neck/bolt-on that's causing me to prefer the Ibanezes' tone. I didn't expect this, I thought it was just going to be a cool neon guitar. This thing was half the price of my USA.

I've been playing Ibanez's almost since I started. I have three, Jem7vwh, RB10BK (reb beach signature), and a black/pink RG 770DX. I love my ibanez's, but I have always wanted Jackson's. I am on the verge of getting an SL1T...Ibanez makes very little 'high end' non-trem guitars. It also seems to me that although Fender owns jackson now and we all know what the consensus on that is...jackson seems to be more in tune with customers want...as well as offering a custom shop to the public. Congrats on your RG 550 20th...love the neon colours! Different guitars are good for different things, but no one can deny a good quality guitar regardless of what style it is good for.

Comment

Funny, but I think the exact OPPOSITE..in fact, I had my 2550 (the modern version of your replica) for over a year before I got the Soloist...the USA was less expensive, and I find shreds faster than my RG!...strange, the frets I think are bigger and whatever material is in there, ain't in the Ibanez. The compound radius is a HUGE difference as well, and the super-flat Ibanez Wizard neck just doesn't fit my hands as nicely as the SL2H.

Mind you before I got the Jackson, my Ibanez was my go-to guitar...and I still love the thing. For being so similar it's amazing how different they are! I much prefer a Floyd over the Edge trems, as well. And as far as access goes, that fat heel they faithfully reproduced on the 550 must affect the playability, in the least.

Having said that, those 550's are still awesome. I find that I use the two guitars for different things...both shred to high hell, but the tones are quite different...I really like the Duncans in the Jackson...and the Dimarzios ain't going anywhere in my 2550!...

It's great when ya find the guitar that does it all for you...those limited edition 550's are awesome!

Comment

Is the USA Jackson less expensive than the 2550???

Comment

...the Jackson was slightly less...like a few hundred dollars less. I was kinda shocked too, but if you look around you can find great deals...mind you my Jackson isn't a custom or anything, just a straight up USA...and that includes shipping/brokerage/exchange rate.

Comment

Never had an Ibeenhad, but if I did, I wouldn't want or expect it to sound like a Jackson. Why would you want all guitars to sound the same?

Comment

Working...
            X