Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my custom shop Soloist

There's a question below this pic....

One thing seems a little strange (although it could just be that I've never owned a Jackson). The strings don't go evenly across the pickup. The bridge is a little higher than the neck so there's an angle. Is this normal?

Thanks. -Dave

First off, congratulations - that looks great!

If I understand you correctly,then yes, it's completely normal for the strings to pass across the pickup at an angle on a guitar with a tunamatic bridge. It's all to do with the angle of the neck vs the body. Check out a Les Paul for example.

However (and I don't think this is the case), if you're saying that the pickup is misaligned when you look at the guitar from the front i.e. it's offset more towards the bass strings than the treble, then no, that's not normal.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks!

This was my 1st guitar purchase in 15 years - my last was a Carvin with a Floyd Rose. It's tough out there for us lefties.
      I consider the fixed bridge my 'adult' guitar.

You read me right. The pickup is aligned just fine from left to right. I was talking about the side view where the pickup appears slanted downward towards the bridge (although it is perfectly even with body). Thanks for confirming this makes sense.

It's amazing how easily it plays. I feel like I actually got better by just switching guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        If I understand you correctly,then yes, it's completely normal for the strings to pass across the pickup at an angle on a guitar with a tunamatic bridge.
        I would consider it a careless mistake, if that bridge pickup is mounted in a non-sloped ring. Slope-formed rings are made for this very purpose.

Very cool guitar!
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The EMG is raised as close to the strings as possible. Is the sloped ring more about looks, or will it have a (noticable) affect on the output of the pickup?

Comment

As long as you have the pickup height adjussted to where you want it, the ring style will have almost no affect - it's more of a cosmetic deal than anything else.

And congrats on the guitar.

Comment

cool! looks almost trans-purple in direct sunlight.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Really cool!
                Light Lies Trailer
                www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQC1CvcNQ6g

Six-Point Lead
                www.youtube.com/sixpointlead

www.myspace.com/sixpointlead

Comment

It does have a purple tint in direct sunlight...I was a little worried about that since I'm not a purple kind of guy

But indoors, it's definitely black and looks amazingly cool.

Thanks for the kudos everyone. I'm glad to be a Jackson owner.

Comment

Looks nice
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Looks awesome !!

Great soloist !

Comment

The only mistake I see is that Jackson mispelled Soloist on the hang tag! Doh! Good thing they build guitars better than they spell words!
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

great guitar

Comment

Awesome looking guitar. Congrats. I really like the simplicity. I'm a fan of that. Simple controls....no over-the-top switching, etc. I personally would have opted for a passive pickup but that is just me.

As for the pickup tilting, it is a fairly common thing. It's due to the fact that most humbuckers are held to the rings via two screws with springs. Since the screws are centered, there is nothing preventing the pickup from tilting when the height is adjusted. The tilting can be caused by the pickup rubbing inside the well, hitting a wire, canting because of the springs, etc. I sometimes wish they would have built all pickups with a 4-screw setup. that way, you could adjust the amount of tilt you want to match the string angle.

You can easily fix the problem if it bothers you by stuffing a small wad of paper or something like an ear plug under the side that droops down. I've done that very thing in the past. BTW: the tilting should have no affect on the sound at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dmccarthy View Post
                              It does have a purple tint in direct sunlight...I was a little worried about that since I'm not a purple kind of guy

But indoors, it's definitely black and looks amazingly cool.

Thanks for the kudos everyone. I'm glad to be a Jackson owner.
                              then dont play it out at any outdoor picnics...lmao...seriously...looks great....congrats...d.m.
                              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                              X