Need info regarding 1990 Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info regarding 1990 Rhoads

I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this has already been covered previously.
    I've got a USA Rhoads #RR-2551. I bought it in a pawn shop in 1991 for $600. It is all original with active Jackson pickups & electronics, a mini-toggle switch, one volume & one tone knob, Jackson Floyd Rose-type whammy bar, and no pickguard. The back is routed for the control cavity.
    I have never seen another like it (rear-routed & active electronics) for sale on E-bay or the internet.
    Can someone tell me about this guitar? Is is fairly common, rare, a custom shop model, etc.?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Yerbouti69; 06-06-2007, 04:29 PM.

Rear-routed? That must be a CS piece. Can you post a pic?

Comment

Yes, definitely rear-routed. I'll try to post a pic in the next couple of days.

Comment

Cool. Yeah, it's a definitely a CS. And 600$ was a steal!

Comment

How do I insert a picture? Duh.....

Comment

Post a link to the pic... or wrap the [IMG] [/IMG] tags around the URL and it will be displayed here.
            -Rick

Comment

Sorry, I can't get the pictures to post; please try this link:
              www.msnusers.com/1990JacksonRandyRhoads

Once there, click on the 'Pictures' link on the left side.

I opened the tremolo cover on the back and found the following info:
              W/O - 7236
              Due Date 1-22-90

Thanks for any help, info, etc. you can provide.

Comment

Here ya go... definitely unique.

-Rick

Comment

Thanks, any ideas how I can find out more about it?

Comment

Welcome, Yerbouti! Well, what more do you need to know?

All the experts are here....

Your Rhoads was made in 1990 in Ontario, California. This was right before the USA Select series (regular production USAs) so everything from this era and before was considered a "custom". Body wood could be a few things, common woods were poplar & alder. Fretboard is ebony, inlays are Mother of Pearl. The logo is painted and the trem is a JT-590, a pretty good one and commonly used in that era, as were actives. The really cool thing, as you might have surmised, is the rear-routing. Most Rhoads were front-loaded with the pickguard.

Also, 6 bills for a 1 year old custom was definitely a steal!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Yerbouti69 View Post
                      Thanks, any ideas how I can find out more about it?
                      Ummmm.....It's black:ROTF:

I think some members here know how to get more info by calling up Jackson with th w/o #. I've never had a custom so I don't know.
                      Last edited by DonP; 06-06-2007, 11:49 PM.

Comment

600$?!?!? A good score for you and a bad deal for the seller!! Awesome guitar man!!
                        Light Lies Trailer
                        www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQC1CvcNQ6g

Six-Point Lead
                        www.youtube.com/sixpointlead

www.myspace.com/sixpointlead

Comment

Yeah! That is really awesome guitar! No pickguard makes it looks great! If you ever decide to let it go, let me know first! Can I ask what pickups are there and what electronics?

Comment

Looks great...
                            600$ ... awesome price..

Comment

I've never popped out the pickups, so I can't say. As far as the electronics go, all I know is that there is a small (approx. 1 square inch) circuit board in the control cavity. There does not appear to be a way to adjust the effect, but I may be mistaken. The mini switch seems to change the tone (gives it a thicker sound) more so than increasing the volume.
                              I haven't played this guitar for a couple of years, so most of this is from memory.
                              Last edited by Yerbouti69; 06-07-2007, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X