Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bought a guitar with undisclosed issues... what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a guitar with undisclosed issues... what would you do?

Bought a pink Jackson from an online used music store. Was told it was in good shape and was a 'fusion'. Here were the issues they didn't tell me:

1) missing ALL the string locks on the JT6. Strings were put in by the ball ends.

2) missing the locknut above the nut.

3) TWO EXTRA HOLES in the body. It's a one humbucker guitar, has two knobs on it, and a gaping hole. >:|

Guitar plays like butter, neck is awesome, etc... and I don't want to hassle with sending it back. How much should I try to get refunded on the guitar? I paid $420 shipped, which isn't much, but still... it's not how the guy described it to me over the phone.

Pete

Pete,
    I'm assuming you didn't get pics before you bought it. He may work with you and he may not. You can start with $200 and work from there but he might not be willing to do that so you may have to eat it...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

If it´s a USA and that´s all it has, I´d tell him that you were´n´t happy as a result but will still be keeping the axe... a bit of cash to get parts wiould of course be nice as well

@"Extra holes": THere were quite a few singlehums with the JE-1200 preamp. which is a 2-3 knob system. 2 only when run w/o a tone pot though, and 3 knobs is by far the most common

Comment

got any pix? if it's as bad as it sounds, i'd want at least 30% off.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
          If it´s a USA and that´s all it has, I´d tell him that you were´n´t happy as a result but will still be keeping the axe... a bit of cash to get parts wiould of course be nice as well

@"Extra holes": THere were quite a few singlehums with the JE-1200 preamp. which is a 2-3 knob system. 2 only when run w/o a tone pot though, and 3 knobs is by far the most common
          I was wondering if the holes were 'stock' because they are in a line - usually when people add extra holes, it's pretty random. I just figured they would have a switch or SOMETHING in the hole...

I'm keeping the guitar - it plays too well and has a nice thick slab fingerboard which I like. Just wish they would have been upfront with me regarding the missing string locks on both ends.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
            I was wondering if the holes were 'stock' because they are in a line - usually when people add extra holes, it's pretty random. I just figured they would have a switch or SOMETHING in the hole...
            One would think so, but if it were so the Shotgun Soloist would be called "Switchus Maximus"

Comment

I'm keeping the guitar - it plays too well and has a nice thick slab fingerboard which I like. Just wish they would have been upfront with me regarding the missing string locks on both ends.

Pete
              Maybe you should ask him to send you the string locks on the both ends? And let him deal with it, it may help you feel better

From what I understand the holes are stock and I'd be happy with a great playing guitar. String locks should be easy to get!
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Yeah, definitely suggest he send along the missing parts, as it must have slipped his mind when he shipped the guitar.

If he says they were missing all along, then ask why he didn't say so in the first place, but still charged the same price as an identical model that doesn't have missing parts.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                  Maybe you should ask him to send you the string locks on the both ends? And let him deal with it, it may help you feel better
                  If the guy was shady from the get-go, I wouldn't be holding my breath or checkin' the mailbox anytime soon.
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post

From what I understand the holes are stock and I'd be happy with a great playing guitar. String locks should be easy to get!
                    +1 ...

I hate to say it, but I think you have to be held somewhat accountable for buying a guitar "sight unseen" as well.
                    If she's a player and you like it, consider yourself lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                      +1 ...

I hate to say it, but I think you have to be held somewhat accountable for buying a guitar "sight unseen" as well.
                      If she's a player and you like it, consider yourself lucky.
                      Wrong. Here are a few things I asked:

1) What overall shape is the guitar in? Any dents/dings/problems?
                      2) Anything missing? Are all the parts there?

2) is the important part obviously... call me crazy, but I kinda figure if I ask someone if parts are missing that they would... TELL ME. Then again, maybe things are different where you are. The only things that really bug me are the missing parts - since the hole is likely stock, it's not as big of a deal.

I've bought instruments 'sight unseen' before, with no issues, because I ask the right questions. I didn't just say "hey, here's my credit card, sell me that guitar!!!!!!!" I'm about to call (they just now opened up) and we'll see what happens.

Pete

Comment

Wrong. Here are a few things I asked:

1) What overall shape is the guitar in? Any dents/dings/problems?
                        2) Anything missing? Are all the parts there?

2) is the important part obviously... call me crazy, but I kinda figure if I ask someone if parts are missing that they would... TELL ME. Then again, maybe things are different where you are. The only things that really bug me are the missing parts - since the hole is likely stock, it's not as big of a deal.

I've bought instruments 'sight unseen' before, with no issues, because I ask the right questions. I didn't just say "hey, here's my credit card, sell me that guitar!!!!!!!" I'm about to call (they just now opened up) and we'll see what happens.

Pete

No offense, but you bought it sight unseen from a USED MUSIC STORE (in your words).
                        Could you not at least request pics before making your purchase?
                        In this day and age of digital cameras, there's no excuse why they couldn't at least accomodate you with that request.

Also ... asking the "right qiestions" is important, but if the person answering those questions doesn't know any better (or is dishonest), the point is rather mute.
                        I dunno ... At least with a picture, you can LOOK for obvious flaws.

JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                          No offense, but you bought it sight unseen from a USED MUSIC STORE (in your words).
                          Could you not at least request pics before making your purchase?
                          In this day and age of digital cameras, there's no excuse why they couldn't at least accomodate you with that request.

Also ... asking the "right qiestions" is important, but if the person answering those questions doesn't know any better (or is dishonest), the point is rather mute.
                          I dunno ... At least with a picture, you can LOOK for obvious flaws.

JMO
                          I've had pictures of guitars that were just as dishonest - I figure if someone is going to try to fuck me, it's going to happen pics or not.

Talked to the music store, told me to call back thursday, manager will be back and get me the missing parts. We'll see how it goes. I may even have some of the missing parts in one of my Charvel bonepiles. I have a big box full of trems/parts/pickups/etc, so I can probably come up with the missing stuff. Just was a surprise.

Pete

Comment

Send it back. Fug'em. I have little patience for lying, dishonest, deceptive shops.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              Send it back. Fug'em. I have little patience for lying, dishonest, deceptive shops.
                              Explanation they gave was that the guy was a drummer. That did explain a lot, actually.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X