Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am at a point in my playing where I think I want a custom made guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am at a point in my playing where I think I want a custom made guitar...

I love Jacksons, but the volume knob really gets in my way. I have compensated for it over the years, but it still is in my way. I have 2 USA soloists and I am really considering selling them and getting a custom made soloist. I really dont know what one will cost though. I am not looking for anything fancy. A soloist body, reverse maple neck, maple board, dot matrix camo paint, one push/push knob located out of the way of my picking hand. I really wonder how much it would cost?

I have the same problem. For me, it's as follows :

Evil control config: SL, DK, KE (except Friedman model), WR
    Good control config: KV, RR, Friedman KE1

Sorry, didn't really answer your question.

Comment

it will be cheaper to mod your current jackson, the prices of customs these days are ridiculous from what i have heard.
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Opinions seem to be sharply divided on this issue. See this thread :

Comment

Is it possible to relocate the knob? I.e. fill the hole and redrill? Depends on the paint job of you soloist.

Of course I say sell and get a custom because I'm always on the hunt for a used soloist.

Comment

Just re-positioning the volume pot definately does not worth CS upcharge, especially now, when the prices are about 30% up compared to 2006.
            Because I don't say it
            Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

If you doesn't use the tone knob, just remove it and put the volume in its place.

Comment

There is something inside me that doesnt want to mod the guitar for my liking. I cant explain it.

Comment

Well it's your choice, but moving the volume would be a VERY easy mod, and you could still have the disconected tone knob there for looks if you wanted to.

But of course, if you have the money a reverse maple soloist would kick some serious ass no doubt.

Comment

I'm a big fan of H/S setups, on my SL1 I leave the middle naked, and use a JB/CR. Which I might change to DD/HR soon, but who knows! The point is that I've thought about it too, but modding a guitar..psh I don't know. I don't think I would. But then again I don't have a problem with the volume knob.

But its yours, you only live once, if your gonna keep it and never sell it! Mod that son of a bitch.

Comment

get a ran!
                      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Maybe us volume knob haters can hijack that snakehead custom build thread and get the knob moved on it!!

Comment

swap vol and tone. disconnect tone

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
                            swap vol and tone. disconnect tone
                            +1 Easy solution.

And - to all those who dislike the volume knob being so close - many of us prefer it right where it is. I like the standard J/C volume knob placement becuase it makes it very easy to do volume swells or cut-offs while playing. And I've NEVER had a problem of accidentally hitting the knob while playing. This "problem" is something that is just as easily fixed by merely adjusting your picking/playing style and/or hand position. All it takes is a little practice & effort.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              And - to all those who dislike the volume knob being so close - many of us prefer it right where it is.
                              You are the fortunate ones! Personally, I tried to get used to it on my WR1 for almost 3 years, no joke. After 3 years of playing every day, I was more miserable with it then when I started. Everything else about the guitar was awesome. It seems like the players who have a problem with it are definitely in the minority. I'm not expecting Jackson to change their basic design for everyone. Maybe just a limited run now and then with the controls swept back? Throw a playa a bone!

Comment

Working...
                              X