Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want a custom shop 7 string soloist, what about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a custom shop 7 string soloist, what about this?

Hey guys

I am really burning the idea in my head about a 7 string custom shop soloist.

I want a N/T 7 string with a floyd, mahogany body, maple neck, unfinished maple neck with oil, was thinking flame for the neck and birdseye for the fretboard, maybe with an ebony stripe down the back, the same green used for the limited run green menies, headstock reversed with black jackson logo
    1 volume 1 3 way, Dimarzio dactivator pickups in green or black, green EYE inlays on the fretboard.

what do you think? neck wood suggestions????
    what are jacksons 7 strings like?

I really love my Ibanez 7 and know they are completely different, but what do you think?

Chris

Make it a six string and get rid of the green colored things and I would totally be in on it. You didn't mention bridge?
    Scott

Comment

Floyd rose

and green and the 7 string are the whole deal man!

Green is my thing!~

c

Comment

I have a 7 string Kelly, and I can say that Jackson 7s are very nice. I have been trying to get a workable quote for a custom shop Kelly 7 but it seems to be incredibly slow going.

When you are buying a CS instrument, you are very likely to get a very high quality instrument, but you are going to pay far out the nose for it. So make sure you get exactly what you want because unless you are filthy rich, the money to buy one will be a very rare occurance. ($6K - $7K)

My Kelly 7 is a stock item with a bolt on maple neck. The neck has a very light and workable finish, with a fixed bridge. The pickups it came with needed replaced as they lacked any real push to them, but once that was done it is a really nice instrument.

You milage may vary, but I love my Kelly.

Comment

sounds like a very cool guitar and I'd bet it would be nicer then an Ibanez but probably more expensive too.

Comment

"carvin" !

Comment

Well
              I really think my only option is a jackson, and yes these specs seem to be what I keep coming back to year after year, A soloist in slime green with the green eye inlays on a birdseye board, 7 string, reverse headstock! this is what I'm gunna go for!

I didn't think custom shops were into $6k or $7K now? that's insane!!

Chris

Comment

Can sombody post pics of the eye inlays I know I've seen them in green before?

thanks!

Chris

Comment

Don't get a figured wood for the neck - it's weak

Comment

I hate to deter anyone from Jackson because mine are all perfect but with Jackson's new ridiculous prices, KXK could probably build what you want for a lot less cash. GMW may be cheaper too.

Scott
                    Looking for un-molested slant fretboard early USA & Pro Warriors!

Comment

Yeah, but it won't be a Jackson.

I'd say skip the neckthrough/Soloist idea and get a bolt-on/Dinky. Yes the bodies are very slightly different - specify Soloist body specs (if anyone knows the exact differences, that is), but it's a lot less expensive and there's no detectable or useable tonal difference. Plus it leaves you financially open to do other things, like a second one

Definitely get the KV neck profile. I've got that on my WR7 and it's very comfy. It's thin, which really helps with the extra width.

But to be totally honest, if you're not going to actively use all 7 strings, I'd say get a 6 and string it/tune it for the lows you'll want. Although, a 7 does offer the advantage of being able to NOT play stuff that low and still have all 6 strings.

You might not want the Birdseye after playing it. I had one that was loaded with Birdseye and while it was great to look at, I just couldn't get around the tone. It was too dark for me, and I've always had a bit of a bright tone, especially on maple Strat shapes. It wasn't that it sounded more like Rosewood than Maple, it sounded like it wasn't able to project, and notes were just bland. Maybe it was the figuring, maybe the whole guitar was a trainwreck (the Color Dragon StratGod has, which went through a series of tragic events in a short span of time around the time I had it and its older brother).

But anyway, there's my $0.02
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks guys
                        these are all good points!

I think in fact I will have someone else build it, the only problem could be the eye inlays, I really had my heart set on those for this!

A bolt on eh, humm, I appreciate that it will cost less, but I can just buy a UV7 and have something very close to that, or an RG7 for that matter.

Alot to think about.

Chris

Comment

Maybe if I get a figured neck it should be a 3 or 5 piece then!

Thanks for reminding me of the potential weakness!

Chris

Comment

To completely contrast what Newc said:

If you want it to sound like a Soloist, get the neck thru. Bolt-ons do sound different, and Dinkys don't have the trademark "Soloist tone", which my Soloist 7 does have. I would go with regular maple, though - it's less likely to have stability issues. (Oiled is definitely the right choice!)

Every Jackson CS 7 I've played has a slightly different neck. The King V profile will be closer to the Ibby, but I've found the thin necks on the RGs give me hand fatigue more quickly, and the slightly deeper Soloist neck is actually easier to play.
                            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

A Jackson CS shop 7 string soloist is my end all of dream guitars.
                              Unfortunately they are priced way too high for a "hobbyist" like myself
                              to have one built.
                              So I went the Carvin route, neck thru, mah body /mahog neck/(neck thru 24 fret)
                              birdseye maple fret board/maple top/Stainless Steel frets and a floyd.
                              I've got a set of Bareknuckles going in (nailbomb/coldSweat) and I've got an OFR 7 bridge going in as well.
                              My Jackson SL2H soloist has been my go-to guitar for the last few years.
                              I play my Carvin more than the jackson now, that's how good it plays (and it cost me less than a 1/3 of what the Jackson CS shop will get you for).
                              something to think about.
                              If I had cash to burn , a jackson CS would be a no -brainer.
                              GMW is not ramped up to do a 7 right now (that's my next purchase)
                              for now this one will do just fine
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X