Jackson finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson finish

I've seen old Fender guitars where the finish is worn on the edges, forearm rest,and back of the neck, but I've never seen a USA Jackson in this condition. I assume it's because the Jackson finish is so thick. Can anyone tell me the difference in the finishing techniques of these two guitars, and how Jackson gets such a hard finish on their guitars.

Vintage Fenders were sprayed uising "Nitrocellulose Lacquer" using very thin coat(s).
    Modern finishes are urethene,base coat (color) than a clear on top.Just like automotive finishes. . very durable and better for the earth too.
    There is more to it, but tried to sum up short & sweet.
    Last edited by ADR; 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM.
    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
      Vintage Fenders were sprayed uising "Nitrocellulose Lacquer" using very thin coat(s).
      Modern finishes are urethene,base coat (color) than a clear on top.Just like automotive finishes. . very durable and better for the earth too.
      There is more to it, but tried to sum up short & sweet.
      +1
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The nitro finishes let the wood "breathe" so within the years, the humidity of the wood decreases, and the wood resonates better.

Poly finishes don't let the wood breathe.

So there are pros and cons.
        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

My Relic

I dont know how I know that . . . look whats this. . is this what you mean?
          Here is a prime example. . my 56 CS "Mary Kaye" Relic in Vintage Blonde,its got "Thin Skin" Nitro finish,or lack there of.

Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

An original 56 Strat will have natural finish wear, yes. ADR, on your CS relic, is there a clear coat over the "wear marks"?

Comment

.... that thing has like one coat or something...... relics come fucked up like that, you pay more for a fucked up guitar............
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

It's just I have seen a CS Fender relic and it had the wear, but then had a clear coat OVER the wear to, maybe, protect it?

Comment

Yes ADR, that is exactly the kind of wear that I'm talking about. It adds a nice touch to a vintage guitar, but these finishes are a bit fragile. I once owned 1970s' Stratocaster with a beautiful Wine Red finish. I accidentally damaged the finish several times, and after that I was always worried that it would get messed up again.
                  In the 1986 I bought a custom shop Jackson, and one of the first things I noticed is that the finish was thick like a shell. Even though I was careful not to damage it, the guitar was constantly being coated and recoated with layers of sweat, grinded pick dust, and god knows what else. I never had to use cleaning or polishing chemicals of any kind. After fifteen years of regular use I was always amazed that a little elbow grease and a cotton cloth was all it ever took to make the finish look like new. It even outlasted the chrome on the tremolo! Thanks for the info and other feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                    .... that thing has like one coat or something...... relics come fucked up like that, you pay more for a fucked up guitar............
                    The nice side of relic is that if you buy it for actually playing onstage your don't have to worry that everyday wear and tear will diminish its resale value who cares for extra scratch or ding on a relic? It is supposed to be fucked up and it's written in CS certificate :ROTF:
                    Because I don't say it
                    Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                      The nitro finishes let the wood "breathe" so within the years, the humidity of the wood decreases, and the wood resonates better.

Poly finishes don't let the wood breathe.

So there are pros and cons.
                      Breathe what? The sweat from my hands?? Not under every condition humidity of the wood decreases..

Moreover, poly finished guitars are not covered with finish on every inch. They also can breathe the way you're telling
                      Check my bands!
                      www.myspace.com/magicktr
                      www.myspace.com/sinif64
                      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Poly finish differ. The cheaper (less labour and faster curing) finish really may "strangle" the wood. But hi-end poly finish is pretty much OK. In a year or so the lacquer really settles on the grain or flame/quilt pattertn (the latter is visual in the reflected light). Quality nitro finish, though settles more naturally but at the same time it provides less protection. It's up to customer's choice anyway
                        Because I don't say it
                        Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Working...
                        X