No announcement yet.

Unmarked SD's on SL2H(?); newbie here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unmarked SD's on SL2H(?); newbie here!

Hi, first post here!

Anyway, I have been playing guitar for a while, ie, over 30 years. And have always used Fenders for the most part, with the occasional Les Paul (but never can get used to the lack of balance in most Gibsons......).

So...........after listening to my brother-in-law prattle on for years about how great Jacksons were, I had to try for my self. So I found this 'brand new' Jackson SL2H on Ebay that I liked.......natural finish, mint, 'brand new,' OHSC, Seymour Duncans, etc. Anyway, I bid and got it for next to nothing......I'll just say it was about $700-800 off the MAP(!) Sometimes the system works for you!

Now, I have had this guitar a few weeks and I gotta say, it's a great instrument..........and I love the neck! Bit getting used to the Rose, cannot rest my palm on the bridge now, ala teles and strats......too sensitive, but I'm adjusting.

Enuff of that gushing for now..........

My real question lies with the pickups. The front pickup looks like a SD, but is not marked on the top. The bridge pu is properly marked with the SEYMOUR DUNCAN logo. Anyway, so I call the seller/dealer and he says he wondered about that himself, and contacted Jackson.....claimed Jackson said there was a run on SD's for Jacksons that did NOT have the SD logo. And yes, it's a SD.

Of course, I pull the pickup and sure enough, as per the markings on the underside, it's a SD '59, SH1N.

Now, I have not gigged this guitar, but it sounds fine so far. Wonder if this was a SD 'second'.......???

Anyone here ever see this thing concerning 'unmarked' SD's?

nope there are some companys that get unmarked ones. my wayne, has an unmarked JB & it sounds great.

Comment

A lot of old Duncans also didn't have logos. You can still order a new one from them without a logo. Some people just don't like the logo and will try to remove it anyway.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, nothing to worry about. My favorite local shop carries quite a few non-logoed Duncans for folks who prefer the old-school look.

Comment

If you special order a pickup, Seymour gives the option of logo or non-logo. (...Which you can spec on J/C custom shop orders, BTW.) Ocassionally, he does a run of non-logo'd PUs to have these on hand when requested. Like mentioned above, some folks just prefer them that way for an old-school look. And, so, manufacturers get some non-logo'd versions in from SD every now and then. This seems to happen more often with neck PUs, rather than bridge ones.

It's a standard SD PU in every respect. Not a "second" or anything. Just a non-logo'd version. Perfectly normal.

Personally, I hate the SD logo, as it's big, loud (white) and obnoxious. But it also comes off pretty easily, too. I do wish he'd do something more subtle like Dimarzio, though - raised lettering in the plastic, same color as the rest of the PU.

Comment

Thanks, all!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhawk View Post
              Hi, first post here!

Anyway, I have been playing guitar for a while, ie, over 30 years. And have always used Fenders for the most part, with the occasional Les Paul (but never can get used to the lack of balance in most Gibsons......).

So...........after listening to my brother-in-law prattle on for years about how great Jacksons were, I had to try for my self. So I found this 'brand new' Jackson SL2H on Ebay that I liked.......natural finish, mint, 'brand new,' OHSC, Seymour Duncans, etc. Anyway, I bid and got it for next to nothing......I'll just say it was about $700-800 off the MAP(!) Sometimes the system works for you!

Now, I have had this guitar a few weeks and I gotta say, it's a great instrument..........and I love the neck! Bit getting used to the Rose, cannot rest my palm on the bridge now, ala teles and strats......too sensitive, but I'm adjusting.

Enuff of that gushing for now..........

My real question lies with the pickups. The front pickup looks like a SD, but is not marked on the top. The bridge pu is properly marked with the SEYMOUR DUNCAN logo. Anyway, so I call the seller/dealer and he says he wondered about that himself, and contacted Jackson.....claimed Jackson said there was a run on SD's for Jacksons that did NOT have the SD logo. And yes, it's a SD.

Of course, I pull the pickup and sure enough, as per the markings on the underside, it's a SD '59, SH1N.

Now, I have not gigged this guitar, but it sounds fine so far. Wonder if this was a SD 'second'.......???

Anyone here ever see this thing concerning 'unmarked' SD's?
              All Duncans that are available witth a logo are available without logo for no upcharge. For anybody, not just OEMs. It´s been that way since at least 1994 when I started selling them, probably earlier

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Personally, I hate the SD logo, as it's big, loud (white) and obnoxious. But it also comes off pretty easily, too. I do wish he'd do something more subtle like Dimarzio, though - raised lettering in the plastic, same color as the rest of the PU.
              I hate the dimarzio logo because it´s permanent. Makes it impossible to change pus in most vintage instruments and keep the look, which a toothbrush will quickly solve on a Duncan
              Last edited by Zerberus; 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but for new guitars, it sure looks nicer than SD's big, gaudy logo. And it's especially nice for those of us who dislike said logo, but are still too lazy to do antyhing about it much of the time.

Comment

Here is the description of the 59 from the Duncan site:

Late-‘50s, vintage-correct, humbucker sound. Warm and crystalline clean tones. Full and bright distorted tones. Smooth sustain. Classic appointments include plain enamel wire, long legged bottom plate, vintage single conductor cable and no logo. Compared to the SH-55 Seth Lover, the ’59 has slightly more scooped mids and is vacuum wax potted for squeal-free performance.

Comment

Yep, the 59 comes standard with no logo.

Comment

The '59 set in my Mark Morton signature model have logos... yet, they're also 4-conductor wiring for coil splitting.
                      I guess the typical single-conductor '59 in guitars without coil splitting would get the standard non-logoed '59 unless it was asked for.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X