New (to me) '93 USA Archtop Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) '93 USA Archtop Soloist

So, I've spent the last few month looking for a "shredder" guitar to complement my Hamer Studio

I tried a couple SL2H's (a regular one and a mahogany one) and they sounded pretty good, but something was wrong with the ergonomics. Eventually, I figured out the problem was that I had gotten too used to playing Hamers (my favorite brand). They all have angled necks and non-recessed floyds (usually with a back route); even on their bolt neck guitars. So playing a modern Soloist with the straight neck and recessed floyds just felt wrong. I figured I was going to have to end up going for an older-style soloist, but I ended up seeing this on eBay

This was owned by a couple Hamer Fan Club board members in the past and it had the specs I was looking for, so I went for it. After playing the EMG's for a couple weeks, I decided to change the electronics to this:

I have a Duncan Hot Rails in the neck and a Duncan PATB2 in the bridge. The pots are still neck-volume, bridge-volume, master tone, but I put on smaller knobs so I could get to the pickup switch easier. I also swapped out the 3-way with a 5-way superswitch to give me the following combos:
    neck humbucker
    neck single coil
    neck and bridge humbuckers
    neck and bridge single coils
    bridge humbuckers

This makes it easy to get to good dirty and clean sounds without dicking around with miniswitches or push-pull pots. Finally, although it's not in the picture, the black knob for the 5-way selector is mounted up higher on the metal post which (along with the smaller knobs) makes it very easy to get to. Now it's a great complement to my Studio and a definite keeper!

Anyway, thanks for reading my blabber!

-Austin

PS. I understand 2 of these were made, but I don't believe I've ever seen a pic of the 2nd one? Anyone have one?

That is gorgeous. That looks like Jack's Custom Shop Soloist to me.

Comment

Yup, it is. Someone else on the Hamer board owned it before Jack (don't know if they're a member here or not), but I believe Jacks sold it after he ordered his custom shop Soloist.

-Austin

Comment

Great color!

Comment

That's a beauty - congrats on a very cool score!
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

awesome guitar

Comment

Sweet bro Yep, that use to be mine and it was my buddy Rob`s before that. I sold it to put the $$$$$$ towards my CS 1 Hum Soloist. Good grab man Jack.

Comment

Working...
              X