Final Specs!! CS Rhoads Help: Need "Archtop RR 2980" specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Specs!! CS Rhoads Help: Need "Archtop RR 2980" specs

Member Hellswrath (owner of the Archtop RR) won't answer my PM... and he hasn't been online since 2006.

After gathering all the info possible and making ALOT of designs of my perfect dream Custom Rhoads (2 year thinking)... I came to the conclusion that I must make an Archtop Rhoads. The only guitar that has totally blown me away was this Archtop Rhoads:

This guitar is SO close to my dream guitar... that I nearly fainted when I saw it for the first time! I need to make some personal changes, so that's why I need your help. I need to spec it out COMPLETLY so that it comes out as I dream.

These are the changes I will make:

*24 Frets
    *Stop Tailpiece (black hardware)
    *Pup-Switch instead of Killswitch (recessed)
    *No "Custom Shop" logo and "Made in USA" logo

Woods:
    White Korina Neck & White Korina Body

Color:
    This Burst and color (trans):

this "OM" with Mother of Pearl Inlay centered on the fretboard:

and "2" Humbuckers with "Bare Knuckle Pickups" black engraving: (Nailbomb Bridge & Cold Sweat Neck would be my choice)

So everything would stay the same except my changes, that's why I need specs. Share your opinions please and it would be awesome if you could help me out spec my dream guitar. I want to order next month!!! Everything must be perfect in the quote form.

Thankyou
    Last edited by Chromatic; 07-24-2007, 12:43 AM.

You should be able to submit pics of both the archtop RR and the drums to illustrate what you want.

Don't forget that when Hellswrath ordered his guitar, there was no archtop RR to use as a reference, so I would imagine he just spec'd an archtop RR and that's what they made.

I think that guitar was ordered through Matt, so he may be able to help, though I don't think he's taking CS orders any more....

One thing I would say is that from bitter experience, you should specify EVERYTHING. Send pics of everything you can for reference, including switch positions etc. Don't leave anything to chance / interpretation...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

That looks like less of an actual "archtop" and more like "extreme body bevels". I like the general look, but it would be cooler if the carve was less sharp (IMO).

-Austin

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        You should be able to submit pics of both the archtop RR and the drums to illustrate what you want.

Don't forget that when Hellswrath ordered his guitar, there was no archtop RR to use as a reference, so I would imagine he just spec'd an archtop RR and that's what they made.

I think that guitar was ordered through Matt, so he may be able to help, though I don't think he's taking CS orders any more....

One thing I would say is that from bitter experience, you should specify EVERYTHING. Send pics of everything you can for reference, including switch positions etc. Don't leave anything to chance / interpretation...
        thanks for the informative post.

Matt did take his order... How can I contact Matt? I sent him a PM and he won't answer. Also... why do you say he's not taking orders anymore ?

Comment

My JacksonStars semicustom Rhoads is a mahogany body with maple neck-thru. The sound is full-bodied but balanced, just like I expected it to sound, no real surprise here. I can definitely recommend it, it's my favourite wood combination... I also have a Soloist Archtop Pro (mahogany body with maple setneck), and those two are my best sounding guitars.
          I would be interested to compare my Rhoads to a Kevin Bond Rhoads (all mahogany) to see if there's much difference, but I haven't found any to try so far.
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
            My JacksonStars semicustom Rhoads is a mahogany body with maple neck-thru. The sound is full-bodied but balanced, just like I expected it to sound, no real surprise here. I can definitely recommend it, it's my favourite wood combination... I also have a Soloist Archtop Pro (mahogany body with maple setneck), and those two are my best sounding guitars.
            I would be interested to compare my Rhoads to a Kevin Bond Rhoads (all mahogany) to see if there's much difference, but I haven't found any to try so far.
            thanks alot for your post! Then it does sound good. Then it will be a maple neck with mahogany body

Anyone knows how to contact Hellswrath? Someone has his e-mail or something? I need spec detail about the Archtop Rhoads...

Comment

The OM may be a problem, PRS has that Trademarked.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by atquinn View Post
                That looks like less of an actual "archtop" and more like "extreme body bevels". I like the general look, but it would be cooler if the carve was less sharp (IMO).
                In Jackson custom spec terms, that is an "archtop". Many other manufacturers will refer to that sharply-angled style as a "carved top", though. If he wants less sharply-curved angles (i.e., like a Les Paul), Jackson calls that a "soft archtop".

As neilli said, though, make sure you specify everything you want EXACTLY as you want it, in painstaking detail. And picture examples always helps.

I've always thought about doing a custom order for a soft arch flying V - still might do it someday. I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to do from a build standpoint, but it'd look killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                  The OM may be a problem, PRS has that Trademarked.
                  I actually doubt that PRS owns the trademark
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om

Comment

Originally posted by Chromatic View Post
                    thanks for the informative post.

Matt did take his order... How can I contact Matt? I sent him a PM and he won't answer. Also... why do you say he's not taking orders anymore ?
                    No worries

You should just drop Matt an email - the addy is on his store site somewhere I'm sure. He may be taking orders again now, but I know he did stop taking new CS orders a few months ago....
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Just curious, why do you/others prefer to have "custom shop" omitted from the headstock? I've heard that before. "CS" looks kickass to me, and it can only pump up the resale value (not that anyone should sell their Jacksons...). It's not a big deal of course.

Comment

-I don't think the OM would be a problem... can somebody post pics? The OM design I will place as inlay is very diferent from the normal OM as you can see in the pic (angled and with diferent style).

-Matt already answered my PM

-I really don't like how "CS logo and Made in USA" looks... just my personal taste. I think the guitar looks much more elegant and unique this way. Also... why do I need to prove my guitar is made in usa or CS? Archtop Rhoads !

-I changed my mind and will make the woods:

White Korina Neck & white Korina Body. It will look very very sexy with the color I choosed and will sound awesome (in theory).

My only concern is that I have never used 1 single pickup. Any tips on getting used to this? Volume and Tone will be available.

Comment

I don't know if the new price structure is in effect, but you are aware that what you want falls under "master builder" or whatever they call it now. My understanding is that the way you have this speced out, it's gonna be a very very expensive guitar.

There is a reason you don't see anyone posting about their new CS orders anymore. No one is ordering anything.
                          Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

While single hum pickups look sexy I find I miss the neck pickup for warmer soloing tones and cleans. It just limits the tonal capabilities of the guitar abit.

Thus I use my single Hum Jackson COW for downtuned stuff.

But goodluck to you and be sure to post pics when she arrives. I myself was thinking of an arch top XTRR custom So I'm definatley interested to see how yours turns out.

( well 2 years from now when it is finished )

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
                              I don't know if the new price structure is in effect, but you are aware that what you want falls under "master builder" or whatever they call it now.
                              If Fender is pulling that "Masterbuilt" crap with the Jackson CS, that's really lame. I spec'ed a Tele through the Fender "Team Built" custom shop. There were one or two petty thing that they wouldn't do (like a satin neck with a nitro painted headstock and body), and they said my order had to be handled as a "Masterbuilt" order. Then they came back with a retail price of $8634....bwahahaha! (I took a "rain check"). I wish you much better luck with your endeavor.

Comment

Working...
                              X