Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Needing Help with an RR1

Hey Guys,

I've been posting here a few times recently as I am in search for my first Jackson USA and am still undecided on a few things. To set the scene, I currently have a Jackson Kevin Bond(black & red), a Jackson Mark Morton (Black), and a Gibson SG Tony Iommi Signature(Black). None of these guitars have a trem, as I am sure you all know.

Anyway, I am now looking to get a Jackson USA Rhoads. I am undecided on some colors, including straight black, or the snow white with bevel, or pinstripe. I like all of them maybe equally. I think the white one looks awesome, but I think on stage the black one has a more refined simple look. So in my hands, the black would be nice, but I'm still looking for feedback. The downside with the black is that all my guitars are black, but then again I guess there must be some reason for that.

Now, in regards to the trem... I am not that skilled at using one, but then again I have only had one a while back, and I did not use it much. However, it may be good to have a trem on one of my guitars in case I want to start using it more.

So, basically I need help choosing a color and whether I should get a trem or not. What are the pros and cons if you had to choose? Also, keep in mind what I already have.

Thanks, I know this is long and confusing, but that's what happens when you love them all!!!

White with black bevels looks killer. Go with the Floyd. Always good to have the option not to mention that you can block it if it turns out to not be your cup o' tea.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Agreed with Mhalsey, your other guitars don't have trems so I'd say get an RR1 w/ floyd rose....worst case if you find out you're not using the floyd, block it and then it's pretty much like your hardtails. As far as pros and cons, hardtails are better if you dont use a trem much and are not worried about divebombing and all else, plus if you like to alternate tunings a lot. Trems of course if you are going to be divebombing and doing the fun tricks, but the down side is the fact that with a floating trem you don't have much flexibility with tuning...however, again, block the trem and that problem is solved, or install a tremol-no or tremsetter and all those other products! In short, RR1...as far as color, they all look killer.
      Last edited by DC_rhoads82; 08-03-2007, 11:48 PM.

Comment

DC_rhoads pretty much covered everything there is to say as far as trems go. I'm going to be getting an RR1T (string-thru) soon, because my current guitar has a trem and I just never use it, plus it's a hassle to set up. For colors it's really up to you; if I had a bunch of black guitars I'd probably go for a colored finish (there's a blue flamed maple on on eBay right now ). I'm going to be getting a black one and putting in chrome hardware

Comment

I also wanted to ask a question about the year of the guitar. Is it better to get a Jackson pre-Fender buyout, or post? Is there any difference? Also, what year was the Fender buyout? Are all the Jackson USA Rhoads with black hardware in the post-Fender buyout period?

Comment

Oh yeah, Pre Fender is WAY better

Avoid that post 2002 stuff like the plague
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

ok, but did Jackson switch their stock hardware colors post-buyout, or before?

Comment

Yes :ROTF:
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

ok, thanks for the quick note. Any reason though, did the standards fall or what?

Comment

Nah, the quality didn't change at all when Fender bought Jackson. I didn't realize they switched hardware colors, though

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Oh yeah, Pre Fender is WAY better

Avoid that post 2002 stuff like the plague
                      +1 Yeah, leave all the post 2002 stuff to me
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by nhlstar View Post
                        Hey Guys,

The downside with the black is that all my guitars are black, but then again I guess there must be some reason for that.

Thanks, I know this is long and confusing, but that's what happens when you love them all!!!
                        Remember that black and dark finishes really show the pick swirls and scratches more readily than lighter colors. Ever try to keep a black car or truck swirl free? Not fun!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

thanks for the advice Bengal. I keep gettin mixed messages about the pre and post fender buyout. I do have some Japanese Jackson's post buyout and I think they are awesome, but I'm not sure if the Japanese plant was impacted as much as the ones in the States. I take your point about the full black color though, I have noticed that happen. Overall though, do you guys like the all black, or not really?

My wife tells me that the colorful ones are better, and I like those one too. However, I like the playability and the simple look of the Black Rhoads. The colorful one's sometimes see too flashy for my style. And yes, I understand that this guitar is flashy, but it is refined too. This is all very confusing. The way I see it is that I should get one of each I got a strange feeling though that my wife won't let that fly.

Also, I should mention that I used to have the Ivory and Pinstripe RR5. I loved the look when it was on the stand, but the white color made it look really big. The downside about that is that I'm a small guy, so although the finish was wicked, I don't know if it suited me well.

Keep the advice coming, I appreciate all I can get.

Comment

in the immortal words of lemmy " randy was a tiny fucker " he played white guitars and he looked awesome ( im not being gay )
                            Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                            Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Simple solution: (Instead of "Suicide Solution" )
                              Here's what I did when I couldn't decide:ROTF:

Oh yeah, and budget for a Hercules stand unless you are hanging it on the wall!

Comment

Working...
                              X