Putting white bevels on a black RR1T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting white bevels on a black RR1T

Title pretty much says it all... I know that a member here called Sparky did that to his, and it looks awesome.

So if anyone knows how to do it... That would be great

Depends what quality you want it to be. If you want a factory type job, you will have to lightly wet sand the existing finish (the entire body, minus the neck) with 400-800 grit and mask off the guitar minus the bevels using a 3M tight seal tape. Shoot light coats of PPG Urethane, 2 part component white color. Light coats as to not build up the edges in the white (even then you may have to wet sand the paint lines slightly) and shoot clear coat over the entire guitar. Then wet sand level and buff out as you would a complete refinish. A lot of work IMO. Or, you could do it cheaply for looks using gloss white transfer graphic material, cut to fit each bevel. you will of course have intersection seams.

My solution: Sell the guitar as is and buy one with the factory paint graphics you want.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

No, I don't need a factory quality job, and AFAIK there aren't any black w/white bevels around, or if there are, I haven't seen any. In any case, I'm not interested in selling a guitar and buying a new one just for the bevels.

And I think Sparky just used automotive pinstripe tape or something? I can't imagine that would be too difficult...

Comment

I just did something similar to my RX10 project......
        It's metallic red and I added the black bevels.......
        I wasn't looking for a factory "perfect" result either, just looking to personalize it a bit........
        I just masked off the body with green painter's tape, lightly sanded the bevels and rattlecanned 'er up......I'm happy with the result, flaws and all....
        I don't know if I'd be brave enough to do the same thing to a USA model though.......

I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

Yea i agree you gotta have balls to put a do it yourself paint job on a an RR1. If i really wanted it i would just pay for a pro to do it .

Comment

Get a professional to do it for you. You will be surprised how little it will cost you since you are only wanted the bevels painted. I would think it would cost less than $300.
            1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
            Jackson SLATQH
            Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
            Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
            Jackson DKMGT (project)
            Kramer Focus 1000
            Ibanez SDGR Bass
            Ovation Celebrity
            Martin Backpacker

Comment

I did one using vinyl. It's not too hard and you can overlap the seems so they don't show as much. I like red on black

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRocks View Post
                Get a professional to do it for you. You will be surprised how little it will cost you since you are only wanted the bevels painted. I would think it would cost less than $300.
                $300 is still pretty spendy just for bevels IMO . I don't know, though, Sparky said he just used automotive pinstriping tape, which is like $6.

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                I did one using vinyl. It's not too hard and you can overlap the seems so they don't show as much. I like red on black
                Sweet, what guitar is that on?

Comment

It's an RX10D

Comment

There seems to be a pattern developing here.....maybe someone should look into a run of RX10's with painted bevels.....
                    I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

It looks like the black with white bevels finish is less common than the white with balck, right?

I hope that can add to the resale value of my KV-2

Comment

The guys that did it with vinyl - how'd you get the shape right (tracing?).
                        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post

Was that one on ebay? I asked one seller with the RX10D that had red vinyl bevels how he did them .

Comment

Anyway.. anyone suggestion if I want to refinish a Jackson Guitar or maybe add a bevel? I know Dan Lawrence (GMW) is great.. but is there any other choice? thx
                            Mayzan
                            Webmaster Of www.MartyFriedman.com & www.7-string.com
                            My website: www.mayzan.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheAmazingBlob View Post
                              $300 is still pretty spendy just for bevels IMO . I don't know, though, Sparky said he just used automotive pinstriping tape, which is like $6.
                              You should call some finish guys for a price quote. I found a guy on the Jackson authorized repair page here in Houston that would refinish an entire body for $320, and that was for stripping the original finish, and repainting the entire body and headstock.
                              1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                              Jackson SLATQH
                              Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
                              Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
                              Jackson DKMGT (project)
                              Kramer Focus 1000
                              Ibanez SDGR Bass
                              Ovation Celebrity
                              Martin Backpacker

Comment

Working...
                              X