identifying a 1989 USA Custom signed by Grover Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• identifying a 1989 USA Custom signed by Grover Jackson

Hi everyone. I know this is my first post and all, but I've enjoyed reading through this board a lot (I just found out about it a couple days ago). I don't know that much about guitars, except they are a lot of fun to play.

Anyway, like I said, sorry to do this in my first post, but I'll at least be straight with you.

I have someone offering me a 1989 USA Custom soloist, SN 4689, which puts it as coming from Ontario in 1989, just like they are saying.

It is signed by Grover Jackson and numbered 15/100. You can see that in the pictures. I am wondering two things:

1) what do I need to do to find out if this is a fake (he says he bought it in Idaho and assures me it isn't)? Should this have a COA?

2) how much is this worth? He's offering it to me for $700

Like I said, I'm going to be straight with you. I plan on buying it to re-sell on Ebay. I'm trying to get an RR5 (don't like the floyd on the soloists), and making some money off of this would really help me pull this off. Maybe a nice pod live xt as well.

So do you think it would be worth it for me to buy it?

Pics: (and I can ask for any more that I want)

Hi Newberino!

Looks legit to me.

Your honesty reminds me of that bum with the cardboard sign: "I won't lie - Need Money for BEER!"
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I've seen several from 'back-in-the-day' where Grover signed them like that, which doesn't really add very much value. There was no COA of that back then.

In looking at the pics, are those chips on the bottom edge of the headstock face (below the logo and made in usa)?
      Is that giant white spot at the bottom of the body a huge chip out in the paint?
      Is the small right spot on the right side of the body another ding?
      It appears the very small toggle at the bottom of the body could be a modification, which detracts from value.
      The trem is a Jackson JT-6, which has a few fans here, but most don't like it.
      Is the nut a plastic one with a stringlock behind it (hard to tell from the pics)? If so, that again detracts from value, most prefer a normal floyd nut.
      Is the fingerboard ebony or rosewood?
      Does it have the original hard case? If not, again that detracts from the value.

With those dings and that hardware, you'd probably get only $700 on ebay, so after paying the guy $700, and then paying ebay listing fees, final value fees and paypal fees, you'd need to sell the guitar for $750 + shipping to break even on your initial buy of $700.

I think you'd be better off just saving the $700 and putting it towards the RR5 you want. An RR5 with case goes for around $1100 on ebay. Taking all the fees into account, you'd have to sell the Jackson for $1175 to net $1100. You're not going to get $1175 for that guitar.

Comment

That guitar most likely sounds better than RR5. The guitar looks like 87-88. If it was 89 it should have a smaller logo and JT590 bridge.
        My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

And a certain reputable seller has an RR5 in mint condition for $750 US
          anyway! Plus its natural blond in color so its unique.

Comment

Just get the RR5 you really want and don't waste time trying to make 50 buck
            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
              Hi everyone. I know this is my first post and all, but I've enjoyed reading through this board a lot (I just found out about it a couple days ago). I don't know that much about guitars, except they are a lot of fun to play.

Anyway, like I said, sorry to do this in my first post, but I'll at least be straight with you.

I have someone offering me a 1989 USA Custom soloist, SN 4689, which puts it as coming from Ontario in 1989, just like they are saying.

It is signed by Grover Jackson and numbered 15/100. You can see that in the pictures. I am wondering two things:

1) what do I need to do to find out if this is a fake (he says he bought it in Idaho and assures me it isn't)? Should this have a COA?

2) how much is this worth? He's offering it to me for $700

Like I said, I'm going to be straight with you. I plan on buying it to re-sell on Ebay. I'm trying to get an RR5 (don't like the floyd on the soloists), and making some money off of this would really help me pull this off. Maybe a nice pod live xt as well.

So do you think it would be worth it for me to buy it?
              First, it's a Dinky, not a Soloist and second, Grover signed a shit load of these. I see them pop up on eBay all the time.
              IIRC, they didn't come with COA's but I could be wrong.
              Regardless, COA's are meaningless as it's a piece of paper and is more easily forged than the guitar.

The JT-6 would make it an 87 or 88.

$700.... I wouldn't pay that much for it.
              -Rick

Comment

First off, it's a bolt-on (correct?) so it's not a Soloist. Soloists are neckthrough, have 24 frets (with very few exceptions) and the serial would have a "J" before the digits. Neckthrough J4689 would be from '89, but neck plate # 4689 can only be narrowed down to between '87 - '89 because of the way plates were handled after the move to Ontario. Pretty sure it's a Dinky from a limited run that Grover signed. #4696 is in the gallery here, and is listed as an '88, which makes sense because of the JT-6 trem.

I wouldn't pay any more than the guy's asking price, and I've seen some of the Grover signed Dinkys go for less on eBay.

-edit- typing while Rick posted
                Last edited by dg; 08-31-2007, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I'd say you're likely to get $450-$550. Crackles just don't sell real well. Still these are great guitars for the money, just don't buy it if you think you're going to make a buck flipping it.

Comment

Dont do it!
                    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Crackles just don't sell real well
                      I like crackles
                      Scott

Comment

I've seen the same guitar many times for ebay...500~700USD
                        State of Emergency
                        http://www.myspace.com/stateofemergencysoe
                        Personal Myspace
                        http://www.myspace.com/hansoe

Comment

Here is mine. No sig. and it came with a JT6. I would love to get my hands on a blue crackle.
                          Just one more guitar!

Comment

Thanks for all the info, guys! I'll just let the guy know I'm not interested. I would maybe jump on it to keep rather than sell, but it has a floating trem which I abhor.

I can't access the classified section yet (nowhere near 100 posts), if you want to pm me about the RR5, my ears are open.

Comment

Does the guitar at the top have a mini switch in addition to the 3-way pickup selector or is it just a blemish in the photo?
                              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                              X