Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2's all American made?

Hey all,

I am looking to pickup a new or newer SL2 and am finding some say "Made in the USA" on the headstock and some don't. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

Thanks for your responses.

I may be wrong, but I think the SL2Hs are Japanese. That's the only SL2 they make any more. The older SL2 models were USA made. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly.
    Scott

Comment

Not having "Made in USA" doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't. But that's more of an issue for older custom order guitars.

Without specifics, I'd venture a guess that some of the "SL2" guitars that you're looking at are really SL4s - those are imports.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        I may be wrong, but I think the SL2Hs are Japanese. That's the only SL2 they make any more. The older SL2 models were USA made. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly.
        You are definitely wrong.

SL2H = USA
        SL2 = (older) USA
        SL4 = Japan

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post

SL2H = USA
          SL2 = (older) USA
          SL4 = Japan
          To make the list complete:

SL1 = USA
          SL3 = Japan
          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Thanks for your quick responses so far guys.

The guitars in question are SL2H's. I kinda thought that there may have been some cost cutting going on with the lack of the inclusion of the "Made in USA" sticker on the headstock. I made a call to Fender and the CSR immediately said "all" SL2's are American made. I just wondered why not put "Made in the USA" on every one.

Thanks again.

Comment

If I'm not wrong, Jackson did make these SL2H's in japan. One of the JCF members owns one. I think its a blue soloist, made in Japan (obviously without the "Made in USA" on the headstock) which he purchased from samash or musiciansfriend or some internet store. There was a thread about the same and it did cause frustration among many members that Jackson had to use the SL2 name since SL2's are all Made in USA. My sl2ht sure did.

EDIT: Thank god! For once I am on the right track... Here's a thread regarding the same...

Found it! It was S-man who bought the Import SL2H
              Last edited by emperor_black; 09-07-2007, 01:46 PM.
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                If I'm not wrong, Jackson did make these SL2H's in japan. One of the JCF members owns one. I think its a blue soloist, made in Japan (obviously without the "Made in USA" on the headstock) which he purchased from samash or musiciansfriend or some internet store. There was a thread about the same and it did cause frustration among many members that Jackson had to use the SL2 name since SL2's are all Made in USA. My sl2ht sure did.

EDIT: Thank god! For once I am on the right track... Here's a thread regarding the same...

Found it! It was S-man who bought the Import SL2H
                http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...highlight=SL2H
                That's not an SL2H. It's a special run import archtop soloist, available through sam ash. just cos they call it an SL2H doesn't mean it is one.
                I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

+1. I'm sure Jackson isn't happy with Sam Ash calling it by the same model name as the USA SL2H.

Comment

+1
                    But isn't Jackson that decides what a model gets called? If no, then Someone needs to sue samash for posting misleading information.
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      The SL2H is the two-humbucker Soloist, and it is USA made. The late '90s SL2 also had two humbuckers, was made in the USA, but it had Armstrong pickups and the import JT-580LP trem.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        +1
                        But isn't Jackson that decides what a model gets called? If no, then Someone needs to sue samash for posting misleading information.
                        Why?
                        Guitar Center had a limited run of guitars built that THEY named the PC2.
                        The guitar was not a PC (no sig on headstock), but since it had the plain PC neck and a quilted Maple top, they called it that. That's a CS logo on the headstock.

Jackson never officially released a PC2 model.

Here's the GC version:

Here's the actual prototype that Jackson dropped: (Thank god too... it's hideous!)
                        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords View Post
                          Thanks for your quick responses so far guys.

The guitars in question are SL2H's. I kinda thought that there may have been some cost cutting going on with the lack of the inclusion of the "Made in USA" sticker on the headstock. I made a call to Fender and the CSR immediately said "all" SL2's are American made. I just wondered why not put "Made in the USA" on every one.

Thanks again.
                          That's not a sticker on the headstock. That label is as solid as the paint, if not more. I think it's part of the inlay.
                          "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Lawsuits = bad

Comment

Originally posted by AfterForever View Post
                              To make the list complete:

SL1 = USA
                              SL3 = Japan
                              To make it truly complete:

SL1T = USA
                              SL2HT = USA

Comment

Working...