SL2H Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H Neck

Hello all, has anyone ever seen an SL2H neck warp beyond repair or warp beyond what can be fixed with the truss rod? I'm thinking about making a major purchase, and I still don't know if I trust the necks on the SL2Hs. They seem pretty sturdy, but I'm still not sure.
    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Unless you plan on submerging it in water, I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's not Ibanez-thin, and those hold up pretty well. I'd say your safe...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

The neck is Quartersawn maple. Supposed to be much stronger than your typical dinky's (MIJ) or any regular guitar's neck for that matter. So, its harder for the neck to break on a soloist. That said, I dont know if one of the qualities of the QS neck is to prevent warping...

But SL2H owners are usually non-noobs and learn to maintain their guitars well. By keeping them in a case, watching out for extreme humidity and such. Its not for a dorm-room.
      Sam

Comment

mine is PERFECT hasn't needed setup since the guitar was new 3 yrs ago!

Comment

Originally posted by axeman81 View Post
          mine is PERFECT hasn't needed setup since the guitar was new 3 yrs ago!
          That is very encouraging.

Comment

Is there an easy way to tell if there's too much moisture in the air of your room?...something cheap and simple? This summer hasn't been too bad...my SL2H's neck are some of the nicest I've ever played...if not THE nicest. Just great guitars IMO.

Comment

I have three USA Jacksons (2 RR1's and 1 SL2H). No issues with any. The RR1's are a 1992 and a 1995. I also have a 1989 750XL (set neck) no issues. I'm pretty sure and Jackson/Charvel neck thru will be solid because they knew it must be perfect because it can't be replaced like a bolt on neck. I'd have no worries buying a 1985 Soloist (or whatever the earliest one was).

I just got my SL2H a couple of weeks ago. It's a 2005 I believe and it came from Houston, TX (I'm guessing very hot and humid with all of the rain this summer). No issues at all - F'ing perfect.

It's hard to tell if it's truely quarter sawn with the paint job. I have a couple of MIJ Jackson Fusion Pro's and they are perfectly quarter sawn. I also have a newer DK2 which isn't, but it's a lot thicker neck then the Fusions.

Quarter sawn is better because (for lack of a better thought) it's like an I beam vs. a 2x10. IT can resist the pull of the strings a lot better and need less truss rod assistance. Very important with a thin shreader neck. Not as important if you've got more wood.

All I can say with my limited exposure to USA Jacksons is that they are excellent. Easily as nice as my 6 Gibsons if not better, and the MIJ 750XL is incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I have three USA Jacksons (2 RR1's and 1 SL2H). No issues with any. The RR1's are a 1992 and a 1995. I also have a 1989 750XL (set neck) no issues. I'm pretty sure and Jackson/Charvel neck thru will be solid because they knew it must be perfect because it can't be replaced like a bolt on neck. I'd have no worries buying a 1985 Soloist (or whatever the earliest one was).

I just got my SL2H a couple of weeks ago. It's a 2005 I believe and it came from Houston, TX (I'm guessing very hot and humid with all of the rain this summer). No issues at all - F'ing perfect.

It's hard to tell if it's truely quarter sawn with the paint job. I have a couple of MIJ Jackson Fusion Pro's and they are perfectly quarter sawn. I also have a newer DK2 which isn't, but it's a lot thicker neck then the Fusions.

Quarter sawn is better because (for lack of a better thought) it's like an I beam vs. a 2x10. IT can resist the pull of the strings a lot better and need less truss rod assistance. Very important with a thin shreader neck. Not as important if you've got more wood.

All I can say with my limited exposure to USA Jacksons is that they are excellent. Easily as nice as my 6 Gibsons if not better, and the MIJ 750XL is incredible!
                How do you feel about the painted vs unpainted neck finishes?

Comment

I personally prefer a finished neck to an unfinished.
                  Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
                  X