help with my new custom shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with my new custom shop

i just got in this custom shop it was not built for me. does a neck through usually have maple all the way through with wings glued to it? mine has maple neck but it thins our to like a quarter inch thick once it meets the body and the back is mahogany sides and back the maple does not go through. you can see the maple on the butt of the guitar but again its a thin strip. did they do that so the back would be a uniform color i never seen this before does anyone know anything about this?
    i will post pics becaus it is hard for me to explain
    Here I am

pics

you can see the color of the stain is different where the maple is
    Here I am

Comment

If it's a custom it was likely ordered that way or perhaps it wasent!

There's nothing too unusual about this style of neck through with a lighter stain on the neck wood, it is a little unusual that the neck gets thinner towards the back allthough that could jsut be some maogany in the way stopping you seeing the whole maple....

Nice guitar any pics of it as a whole?

Comment

Unless you specify a custom order otherwise, this is the standard way that Jackson has made their neck-throughs for many years now. It's a little odd how it gets thinner at the butt end of the guitar. This is a TOM string-through, though, correct? Perhaps it's that way because of the steeper neck angle required with TOM bridges. That thick figured (arch?)top will give it a "haircut" on top, too. Think of it this way: more mahogany for tone. Or is that alder? hard to tell from the closeups.

Comment

Yeah, that looks normal to me. The neck block usually isn't thick enough to totally bisect the body, so it's made up to full thickness with body wood.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

That neck blank was 1 inch thick. The underside at the body had a chunk of mahog glued to it because:

1- 1" aint 1 3/4" like the body is...
            2- it has a neck angle. The top part of the neck was shaved down to flush with the top of the body.

Normal construction method.

3 piece laminated is different though. The neck blank is thick enough that it does go through the entire body front to back.

Comment

Whatever it is, it's cool. Is the rest of the guitar as mint as those shots?

Comment

Working...
              X