SL1 vs SL2H Sustain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1 vs SL2H Sustain

Do you guys with (or have played with) both of these guitars feel one has more sustain than the other? I have heard that the SL1 has less because of the more routing that is done, and maybe because the extra pickups take some of the vibration away. What do you guys think? I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to hear some new opinions. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Holy Diver; 10-09-2007, 10:40 PM.
    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

two guitars of the same model, brand, setup, etc. may still have different characteristics like sustain. The reason IMO is because guitars are made of wood and one tree has different number of annular rings than the other, Grain structure, gain size, imperfections, etc. All have an effect on the overall sound of the guitar. Assuming there is indeed a difference in sustain, so what? just increase the gain!
    Sam

Comment

Ok then. How about the sound and playability of each?

Comment

Even though every individual guitar is different, I have several SL1's and SL2H's and generally speaking, I can't say that I notice any difference in sustain between the two. Playability is an individual preference type of thing. Play whatever feels most comfortable to you. Sound, well again, even two identical SL1's may not sound exactly the same. In general I have not heard a "bad" sounding USA Soloist

Rudy
        Last edited by roodyrocker; 10-09-2007, 11:15 PM.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Speaking of a SL1, what single coils would you guys recommend for the middle and neck? Maybe something to go with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. I play 80s metal and hard rock.

Comment

I play mainly 80's hard rock as well. The Duncan Distortion is a good bridge pickup and I actually don't mind the stock JB either. I also have a Screamin Demon in some as well as EMG 81's and even a couple Dimarzio Tone Zone equipped axes. In the SL-1's I've left the stock Duncan single coils in most of the middle and bridge positions. They sound good and I use the bridge pickup alone most of the time anyway.

Rudy
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Contrary to others opinions I found the JB to rock in the SL1 as well. I have a DD in my SL1 right now and it sounds good. But I think I want to stick the JB back in.

As far as the singles I dropped the stacks for a Cool Rails, I dig it. I also tried a Hot rails which was way too dark.

But roody has way more fiddles than me, so he's got some more room for some tonal diversity in the same model.

But the DD and JB are my favs so far in the SL1. I also tried a Custom and it was very...bland. I didn't dig it at all.

Comment

i agree with emperor_black about turning the gain up a bit. the sustain shouldnt be much different between the two (since 2 singles are basically the size of 1 hum) and if sustain is really your thing, then a lightweight guitar with a floyd rose isnt really your best choice.
                if it's too fast, you're too old
                see ya!

Comment

Originally posted by wakeUPdead View Post
                  Contrary to others opinions I found the JB to rock in the SL1 as well. I have a DD in my SL1 right now and it sounds good. But I think I want to stick the JB back in.

As far as the singles I dropped the stacks for a Cool Rails, I dig it. I also tried a Hot rails which was way too dark.

But roody has way more fiddles than me, so he's got some more room for some tonal diversity in the same model.

But the DD and JB are my favs so far in the SL1. I also tried a Custom and it was very...bland. I didn't dig it at all.
                  The JB does have a sweet tone that the DD seems to lack. I only tried the DD once in a Washburn X40 Pro and it did rock, but the JB has that singin' lead sound that you can't get away from. It seems to be like no other pickup. I don't have any experience with singles.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeUPdead View Post
                    I think that either the CR or the HR are a great match for a DD in the bridge. Cool rails has more of a hot (quiet) vintage tone and the Hot rails is definitely more like a neck Distortion. It is a bit darker, but I dig it for a metal-vibey neck tone.

Another hot pickup I like in the neck is the Duncan SSL-4. It's a true single-coil, but very powerful with a great tone.
                    Last edited by HiOctane; 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM.
                    GM,
                    www.aftershok.com

Comment

Oh I hears ya man. Sometimes for my mood or the vibe I want to create I would go darker and that makes me wanna put the hot rails in. I've been wanting to put a true SC in my SL1 for a long time. I just don't have the cash and seem never to be in closer than I was a year ago to getting it! haha.

But so far I just got DD/CR ignoring the middle pup.

But a true single I think in the neck and middle could definitely liven it up I think! Honestly I've wondered about a milder output bridge in the SL1.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Diver View Post
                        Do you guys with (or have played with) both of these guitars feel one has more sustain than the other? I have heard that the SL1 has less because of the more routing that is done, and maybe because the extra pickups take some of the vibration away. What do you guys think? I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to hear some new opinions. Thanks in advance.
                        That's interesting. Theoretically a single coil has a wider/higher magnetic field compared to a humbucker, so that may affect string vibration. After all, a pickup that's set too close to the strings will get 'wolf notes'. So maybe there's a bit of truth in it?

Comment

I think he's talking about more wood taken away from the body for the routing needed to seat the middle single coil.
                          Sam

Comment

Dude, the other day at the store i played a no-name strat with a half-hollow plastic body and it had as much sustain as the (second-hand, slightly beat up) h/h dinky performer next to it

.... or was it h/s/s... ??
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Actually, I'm talking about all of the possibilities that could affect sustain and or sound. Please state all the opinons and ideas you want. Wait till' I start the bolt on vs neck thru thread. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X