Question about the SL2H-MAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the SL2H-MAH

I've always been a huge fan of Jackson guitars, though I only own one, but my problem is I'm really not digging alder these days, as I'm much more of a mahogany guy when it comes to guitar construction...

I have an absolutely killer '92 Les Paul Studio. It plays and sounds better than just about any other Les Paul I've played or owned in the past. I played Les Pauls for several years in music stores before I found this one, and I bought it on the spot. There's just something magical about it.

So my question is this...

I'm really wanting a SL2H-MAH but don't know how it would compare to a Les Paul as far as tone. I'm assuming it would be different, but probably much more LP like than my alder Jackson. Also, how much can I expect to spend on one with a stock finish?

Thanks

I had an alder SL2H and loved the feel of the guitar, but felt the tone was brighter than I wanted. Sold it, looking for a reasonable LP. I got a Hamer Monaco and Hamer Studio and just loved the tone. Quality is much better than any Gibbo. Still something not quite right, I really like a forearm cut, a Floyd, and just that Jackson feel.

I just got 2 SL2H-MAHs and couldn't be happier. I have the forearm cut, Floyd, and Jackson USA quality. It also has monsterous mahogany/maple cap tone I was hoping to keep. It is certainly close enough for me to sell my Hamers and not look back. YMMV.

Comment

the jackson will sound brighter and a little hotter because of the pickups.
      Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

The scale of the neck is different. That will effect tone too. I just got a Jackson SL2H-MAH...I really love it. Best guitar that I've owned. I prefer mahogany to alder also.

Comment

Similar woods, yes. But apples and oranges because of Floyd vs. TOM. IMHO, that contributes a big difference in tone.

Comment

Working...
          X