No announcement yet.

Help! PC1 Sustainer can not be lowered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! PC1 Sustainer can not be lowered!

I can not seem to lower the sustainer unit on my new PC1. I needed to lower it because when fretting and bending the high frets, it comes in contact with the unit.

I attempted to lower it like I would any other pickup but upon further examination the metal "shield" has been glued somewhat crooked to the pickup (higher on the low E side) and is also digging into the pickup wire within the cavity.

Any suggestions?

I though of taking some sharp tin snipes and trimming a small bit of the shield off so that it would sit deeper in the pickup cavity and not nearly cut through the wire as well.

Has this happened to anyone elses PC1 as well?

What is the normal height of the unit as well?

Any other shields coming off like mine?
    Last edited by vklobucar; 12-17-2007, 04:58 PM.

I went ahead and trimmed off a bit with some sharp tin snipes. Given that the guitar is not in warranty, I saw no other option but to perform this surgery.

Seems to be not ill effects in regards to the sustainer unit. Still makes me wonder how such a thing slipped by the factory. Do they all stick up so high?

BTW this pic shows the height after I trimmed the metal. It is now low enough that the strings do not fret out on the unit. Imagine the height before the mod if you will.

I sent an email to Jackson but I am not holding my breath on this one!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Sustainer.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1195/Metal.jpg
    Last edited by vklobucar; 12-17-2007, 04:40 PM.

Comment

The shield is supposed to be level with the top of the pickup.
      Looks like a production F' up if you had to trim it.

As far as them digging into the wire, yeah.. they all do that.
      Another design flaw. The hole for the cable should have been routed at the top of the cavity or the lead should have been wired at the lower side of the pickup... either one would have eliminated this.
      It should not be an issue though as the pickup height really should never need to be changed.
      Too high or too low and the sustainer will not work properly.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        The shield is supposed to be level with the top of the pickup.
        Looks like a production F' up if you had to trim it.

As far as them digging into the wire, yeah.. they all do that.
        Another design flaw. The hole for the cable should have been routed at the top of the cavity or the lead should have been wired at the lower side of the pickup... either one would have eliminated this.
        It should not be an issue though as the pickup height really should never need to be changed.
        Too high or too low and the sustainer will not work properly.
        It would have been to easy to do that
        Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Working...
        X